Commonwealth v. Pietro Treglia; Road-Raged Driver Strikes Out in Court; Sentenced to 24 Months for Baseball Bat Attack

Monday, May 21, 2012

Harvey L. Bryant, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Pietro Treglia, 39 years old, of the 2200 block of Dellwood Road in Chesapeake, Virginia, was sentenced today by Circuit Court Judge Patricia L. West for charges of Attempted Malicious Wounding, Destruction of Property, felony Obstruction of Justice, misdemeanor Obstruction of Justice, and Disorderly Conduct. Judge West sentenced Treglia to eight (8) years and 24 months’ imprisonment.  Judge West suspended the execution of eight (8) years, leaving 24 months in jail to serve. She further ordered Treglia to remain on good behavior for ten (10) years after his release. He was found guilty by Judge West after a trial on February 28, 2012.       

The Commonwealth’s evidence proved that on the afternoon of October 14, 2011, Pietro Treglia was stopped in the right-hand turn lane at the intersection of Princess Anne and Dam Neck roads in the City of Virginia Beach.  The victim, who was stopped behind Treglia at the light, honked his horn because Treglia declined to proceed through the light when traffic was clear. Treglia eventually caught up with the victim’s stopped car, retrieved a baseball bat from his trunk, and began to strike the victim’s car repeatedly.  Three officers with the Virginia Beach Police Department observed this and responded.  Treglia told the officers that if they had not intervened he would have beaten the victim’s head as well.  During his apprehension by police, he was aggressive and uncooperative, continuing to make verbal threats to the victim.


“This case is a perfect example of why drivers should remember to exercise caution and sound judgment on the roads,” Bryant said.  “The defendant’s conduct was hostile, and the incident could have been much more serious, but for the fact that police officers were in the area and able to successfully intervene.”


Associate Commonwealth’s Attorney Julie L. Fink prosecuted the case. Please contact Macie Pridgen if additional information is desired.​