Commonwealth v. Tramonte Enrico Hines; Jury Recommends Teen Serve 83 Years and 13 Months for Violent Home Invasion

Monday, January 09, 2012

Harvey L. Bryant, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Tramonte Enrico Hines, 19 years old, previously residing in the 1300 block of Longlac Road in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was found guilty by a jury on charges of Armed Robbery (4 counts), Abduction (4 counts), Armed Burglary, Aggravated Sexual Battery, Use of a Firearm (8 counts), and Wearing a Mask on Private Property.   The jury recommended a sentence of 83 years and 13 months imprisonment plus a fine of $500.  Hines will be formally sentenced by Circuit Court Judge Stephen C. Mahan, who presided over the four-day trial, on April 3, 2012.

The Commonwealth’s evidence proved that shortly after midnight on December 5, 2010, Tramonte Enrico Hines committed an armed home invasion robbery at an apartment in the Harbor Club complex off Birdneck Road in the City of Virginia Beach.  Hines entered the apartment through a bedroom sliding glass door and immediately pointed a gun at a woman inside.  He sexually assaulted her at gunpoint and began demanding her property.  Hines eventually forced all four residents into a bedroom and threatened to shoot their puppy if she did not stop barking.  He ordered the victims to give him a laundry bag, and placed their laptops, money, cell phones, prescription drugs, and video gaming systems inside.  Before fleeing the residence, Hines told them he had someone watching outside who would kill them if they called the police.


Although Hines had a bandana covering the bottom portion of his face, three of the victims positively identified him.  They recalled that Hines had slits cut into his eyebrows.  The Commonwealth presented a photograph of his eyebrows with the words “young boy” cut into them by his barber just days before the robbery.  Additional witnesses testified that Hines admitted to committing the home invasion, and one witness recalled seeing Hines with handguns and the laundry bag full of stolen property.


Prior to the start of the jury trial, Hines pled guilty before Judge Mahan to charges of Obstructing Justice and Bribery of a Witness.  While in jail awaiting trial, Hines made phone calls threatening one of the Commonwealth’s witnesses and offered to pay her if she lied at trial.  Judge Mahan will also sentence Hines for those charges on April 3, 2012. 


Associate Commonwealth’s Attorney Paul J. Powers prosecuted the case. Please contact Macie Pridgen if additional information is desired.