Careless Smoking Blamed for 2-Alarm Condo Fire

Monday, January 22, 2018

Virginia Beach, VA - January 22, 2018 - Investigators with the Virginia Beach Fire Department believe a carelessly discarded cigarette is likely to blame for a condominium fire on Saturday, January 20th  in the 4700 block of Golden Eye Ct. located in the Brookside Condos complex.  Two units were damaged by fire but eight total units suffered damage from smoke and water. It appears five units will be displaced.   No one was injured in the fire but a second alarm was issued due to the extensive fire, close proximity of the structures and windy conditions present at the time of the fire.  A quick response by VBFD using two ladder trucks along with ground units kept the fire from spreading to more units.

The Virginia Beach Fire Department urges people to make sure cigarettes are completely out before discarding them.  This is the second residential fire in less than two months in Virginia Beach believed to be caused by careless smoking.  Cigarette fires cause close to 1,000 deaths and 3,000 injuries each year in the United States, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). As the ignition source in fires responsible for over 20% of all fire deaths, cigarettes are the nation's largest single cause of such deaths.

###

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​