Family Pet Rescued From Fire

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

​Shortly before 9:30 in the morning on December 19th the Virginia Beach Fire Department responded to a residential fire in the 300-block of Pratt Court.  When the first units arrived they saw smoke coming from the townhouse.  Upon entering the home they saw that a fire was extending out from the fireplace in the living room.  An aggressive internal attack on the fire kept it from spreading to the upstairs portion of the home or to adjoining units in the building.  A woman who was home at the time of the fire told firefighters that her dog was still inside.  Firefighters searched the home and found the small dog hiding in a bathroom.  The dog was scared but in good condition and safely removed from the home by a firefighter.  No one was injured in this fire.

It appears that smoldering ashes from a previous fire in the fireplace may have escaped from the fire place and chimney chase igniting the wood frame outside the fireplace unit.  The Virginia Beach Fire Department reminds everyone to have your fireplace and chimney inspected at least once a year to ensure that everything is in good working order.  When disposing of ashes from the fireplace make sure to use a metal or noncombustible container to put the ashes in.  Experts recommend waiting at least 72-hours before throwing ashes in the trash to ensure that they are not smoldering.