Burr Oak Circle Townhouse Fire Ruled Accidental

Monday, November 27, 2017

​The Virginia Beach Fire Department was called to the 400-block of Burr Oak Circle at 9:24 this morning after residents reported a large fire coming from the end unit.  When the first units arrived at 9:28, they saw smoke and flames coming from the residence.  Six adults and two children lived at the home.  The two children were at school when the fire broke out.  All of the adults escaped the burning home but a 26-year old man, reported to be the son of the homeowner, was injured when he was forced to escape from a second story window.  The man was transported to a local hospital where he was treated for minor burns to both hands and a minor cut on one hand.  A 94-year old man who also lived at the home was transported to the hospital for breathing difficulties that developed while he was outside the home.  The fire was declared under control at 9:40 a.m.  Thanks to a firewall built into the structure and a quick response by the VBFD, the fire was contained to the end unit.

VBFD investigators have determined the cause of the fire to be accidental, sparked by an over-heated electrical circuit.  The Virginia Beach Fire Department reminds people to be all electrical appliances are in good working order and that you do not overload electrical circuits or wiring.  If you are using an electrical space heater, be sure the power cord is in good working order and never plug space heaters into an extension cord.  Space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall outlet.  It is extremely important to insure that you have at least one working smoke alarm in your home.  In the case of this morning's fire, the unit was equipped with a working smoke alarm according to the homeowner.  

​Images: Contact akohn@vbgov.com​ 

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​