Commonwealth v. Raiquan Lamont Turner; Maximum Punishment of 3 Life Terms plus 18 Years for Murder by Convicted Felon

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Colin D. Stolle, Commonwealth's Attorney for the city of Virginia Beach, announced today that Raiquan Lamont Turner, 21 years old, formerly of the 800 block of Downing Street in Hampton, Virginia, was found guilty by a jury for charges of First Degree Felony Murder, Robbery (2 counts), Use of a Firearm (2 counts), and Conspiracy.  The jury fixed his punishment at three (3) life terms plus 18 years in prison.  Circuit Court Judge James C. Lewis, who presided over the four-day trial, formally imposed this sentence today.

The Commonwealth's evidence proved that on May 29, 2015, Raiquan Lamont Turner, Keith Mitchell, and another male and female went to RC's Gentleman's Club in Norfolk.  The victim, Paul Abbey, and his friend also went to RC's to celebrate Abbey's friend's birthday.  Abbey and his friend weren't having a good time at RC's so they decided to go to Cheetah's Gentleman's Club in Virginia Beach.  They encountered Turner and his group in the parking lot of RC's and had a brief conversation about the fact that it wasn't much fun inside that club.  When Abbey and his friend got to Cheetah's, they saw Turner's group enter the parking lot and park across from them.  Turner asked Abbey for a cigarette and again they made small talk.  Both groups eventually went into Cheetah's and had drinks.  Turner's group decided to leave after a few drinks.  One of Turner's accomplices said that he wanted to rob someone because he needed money. Turner agreed to the robbery, but Mitchell and the female decided they didn't want to be part of it.  Turner's accomplice gave Turner a gun and ordered Mitchell to move the car. 

Abbey and his friend left the club after last call, and as they approached their vehicle, Turner and his accomplice approached them and pointed a gun at them.  As Turner robbed Abbey's friend, the gun went off, grazing him in the head.  As the friend was on the ground, he felt Turner going through his pockets. He then heard another gunshot and realized Abbey had been shot.  He saw Turner and Turner's accomplice going through Abbey's pockets.  Turner and his accomplice then ran back to the waiting car and fled with Mitchell driving.  Abbey was shot in the back of the neck and died at the scene. 

Turner, Mitchell, the third co-defendant, and the female were observed on surveillance footage from Cheetah's.  Turner was identified as a suspect, and Abbey's friend identified him during a photo line-up.

Co-defendant Keith Mitchell pled guilty to Accessory After the Fact – Homicide, and is scheduled to be sentenced on May 22, 2017. A second co-defendant is scheduled for trial on March 21, 2017.

Turner is serving a 20-year sentence for Attempted Murder in Aid of Racketeering Activity and Discharge a Firearm during a Crime of Violence.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorneys Elliott H. DeJarnette V and Jessica C. Koepf prosecuted this case. Please contact Macie Allen if additional information is desired.