Hurricane Matthew Response, Recovery and Resources

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

RESPONSE – What the City is Doing

The City of Virginia Beach is under normal operating conditions, as debris cleanup continues.

Damage Assessments: We are continuing the assessment process, collecting information we need to submit to the state as it compiles all reports to determine whether we have met the threshold for a Federal Declaration.

Report Damage: Renters should start by calling the landlord.  If the landlord can't or won't help, call the city Code Enforcement Office at 385-4421. Code Enforcement will then coordinate with the owner.

Homeowners should first contact their insurance companies. Homeowners can make simple repairs without contacting the city.  If the house needs structural or electrical repairs, permits may be required from the city Permits & Inspections Office (385-4211).

Please go to and click on the Property Damage Form tab. The information is used to report to the state and federal governments for potential assistance programs.

Trash and recycling collection (black and blue carts) will be on normal collection days. Residents are advised that flooded and/or impassible areas will be serviced as soon as it can be done safely. Please be patient. Everything may not be collected during the first pass. Crews will be working diligently to collect all materials as soon as possible. 

Normal bulk item collections are suspended until further notice: Crews are collecting damaged items from flooded homes. Items may be placed at the curb at any time. Regulations will be relaxed to allow for carpet, padding and other flooring, and other materials damaged as a result of flooding, to be collected. Please call to report the location of these items. The City Landfill and Resource Recovery Center, 1989 Jake Sears Road, is closed due to a roadway cave-in. Visit for more information. 

Conservation Needed for Sanitary Sewer System: The public water supply continues to be safe to drink. However, the heavy rainfall and power outages caused by Hurricane Matthew have impacted the system's ability to handle excessive waste water flows. Residents are urged to avoid unnecessary water use. Examples of this include postponing laundry and dish washing and refraining from flushing the toilet with every use. The Department of Public Utilities is working around the clock to fully restore sanitary sewer service. The public will be notified when to return to normal water use.

Closings and Delays:

  • ​The Department of Human Services' Lynnhaven Center, 1045 Lynnhaven Parkway, is closed until further notice due to flooding inside the building.
  • The Great Neck Recreation Center Pool will open tomorrow at 1 p.m. 
  • The Princess Anne Recreation Center is closed for previously scheduled maintenance.
  • The following parks are closed until further notice for storm recovery and cleanup: Thalia Neighborhood Park, Cape Story Neighborhood Park and portions of the Cape Henry Trail.

RECOVERY:  What You Should Be Doing

My property is flooded, what do I do?

  • Read your flood policy. What coverages did you purchase?
  • Take photos of all of the damage.
  • Begin to dry out the building and personal property.
  • Keep a/c (or if cool, furnace) running, to assist in the drying out of the property.  If you have no heating/cooling, keep windows open and have fans blowing to assist in drying.
  • Try to find documents relating to the purchase of the flood-damaged property.
  • If your carpet and pad have been saturated by the floodwater, cut and remove the carpet and pad; please save a small (2-feet by 2-feet square) piece of the carpet to show to the adjuster.
  • If your carpet is damp, pull the carpet loose, remove the pad and dry the floor.
  • Keep oriental rugs wet – roll them up and take to professional cleaners for proper cleaning or evaluation.
  • Clean floors, walls, cabinets with mixture of 1-part bleach, 4-parts water.
  • If cleaning is removing water lines, please take photos of the interior and exterior water line depth.
  • Separate the damaged from the undamaged property. Maintain control over the damaged property (keep it in the back yard, garage or shed if possible so that thieves do not remove it).
  • Begin writing a list of damaged property for the adjuster.
  • Call for appliance repair company to have technician clean, service and provide repair estimate for flood-damaged appliances.
  • Call for heating company to have technician clean, service and provide repair estimate for flood-damaged heating/cooling equipment.


RESOURCES: Available Help

If you need assistance with…

Receiving Food:The Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia has multiple pantries available that do not require referrals. Call 877-HUNGERX to find the nearest one.
Flooding Assistance - Muck-and-Gut:Call 385-3111 to be placed on the list for CrisisCleanup assistance. Various volunteer organizations are available to help with this type of request for assistance.
Flooding Assistance -Yard Debris:Call 385-3111 to be placed in the list for CrisisCleanup assistance. Various volunteer organizations are available to help with this type of request for assistance.
Flooding Assistance - Minor Repairs:Things like roof-tarping are available through CrisisCleanup. Call 385-3111 to be placed in the list for CrisisCleanup assistance. 
Receiving Clothing:Local nonprofits and churches may have collections available. The City is not currently accepting donations of clothing.
Reporting Damage to your Residence:Call 385-3111 to fill out the "Property Damage" reporting form. Residents can do this online as well through
Replacing or Reporting Damage to your Automobile:Call your automobile insurance company directly. The loss of an automobile is not the same as property loss and/or damage. Report automobile losses and claims directly to your automobile insurance company.


If you want to help…

I want to volunteer:

Operation Blessing is accepting volunteers daily at 8 a.m. Monday – Saturday at CBN. Orientation will begin at 8:30 a.m. and teams will be sent out from there. Operation Blessing will provide everything you need — work assignments, tools and lunch. All we ask is that you provide your own transportation to and from the work sites. No reservations are needed for daily volunteers. 


Virginia Beach Volunteers Meet at:

CBN's Corporate Support Building

At the Operation Blessing Construction Trailers in the Parking Lot Facing Centerville Turnpike

977 Centerville Turnpike

Virginia Beach, VA

Phone:  757.226.3407

I want to donate food: Contact the Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia (877-HUNGERX) for more information about donating food.
I want to donate clothing or other household items:The City is not accepting in-kind donations of clothing or household goods.  Contact the Salvation Army, Goodwill or other local nonprofits to donate your gently-used items.


Home Repair Scams: Consumers are increasingly vulnerable after natural disasters, causing scammers to prey upon unsuspecting victims. The Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) Board of Contractors recommends the following 10 tips for choosing a contractor:

  1. Hire a licensed contractor qualified to perform the type and amount of work you require. (Virginia law requires a state license for most contracting work over $1,000.  Exception: contractors performing services in localities in which they do not maintain a definite place of business are not required to pay a license fee or tax so long as their gross receipt does not exceed $25,000.  This means that contractors from outside Virginia Beach may perform services in Virginia Beach without a license so long as they don't make more than $25,000 from such work.)
  2. Check for a current professional license online: or by calling (804) 367-8511. Check for a local business license by contacting the Commissioner of the Revenue at (757) 385-4515 or by e-mail:
  3. Check references and review past work.
  4. Get at least three (3) estimates if possible.
  5. Insist on a written contact. Do not sign anything unless you understand the terms.
  6. Limit your deposit.  Pay 10 percent down or $1,000, whichever is less.  If the job requires custom-made items or special orders, then limit to 30 percent of the contract's total value.
  7. Do not let payments get ahead of the work, and keep records of all payments.
  8. Don't pay 100 percent of the bill until the work is complete and you are satisfied with the job.
  9. Do not pay cash, which is hardest to track and recover in the event of a scam.
  10. Save all documentation relating to your project, including warranty information.

Citizens who use medical devices that need electrical power can go to any OPEN library or recreation center to plug in and charge their devices.

Call 911 for emergencies and use 311 to report non-emergency issues or to seek additional information. ​

                                                     #  #  #