​Commonwealth v. John Willie Parker Jr.; 13 Years to Serve for Shooting at Party

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

​Colin D. Stolle, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the city of Virginia Beach, announced today that John Willie Parker Jr., 25 years old, formerly of the 5300 block of Leicester Court in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was sentenced today by Circuit Court Judge Edward W. Hanson Jr. for charges of Malicious Wounding, Use of Firearm, Shooting from a Vehicle (4 counts) and Maliciously Shooting at an Occupied Building (4 counts).  Judge Hanson sentenced Parker to 21 years in prison with 8 years suspended, leaving 13 years to serve. He must also pay restitution in the amount of $1,354.55.

Parker was found guilty of these charges by Judge Hanson after a trial on September 9, 2015. The Commonwealth’s evidence proved that on April 20, 2014, John Willie Parker Jr. and some friends went to a party in the College Park neighborhood in Virginia Beach.  At some point an argument ensued, and Parker and his friends were asked to leave the party.  Parker and his friend got into a red car.  About this time, the victim, who was not known to Parker and his friends, arrived at the party and began to talk to some friends out front.  The victim noticed a red car making a U-turn and heading back in the direction of the party.  He saw sparks coming from the car and tried to run into the house.  Parker shot him in the back.  The victim survived the shooting but still has the bullet lodged in his back.

Immediately after the shooting, a husband and wife left a friend’s home further back in the neighborhood.  They noticed a red car stopped on the side of the road near the shooting, and they thought that it was unusual. As they passed the red car, it pulled behind them and Parker began shooting at them.  The couple sped off to the nearest gas station and the red car fled in another direction.  Numerous vehicles and homes in the area were hit with bullets.

Police responded to the scene and recovered multiple shell casings.  A red car showed up at Sentara Princess Anne Hospital later that evening with an occupant suffering from a gunshot wound.  The red car had several bullet holes in it. Parker came to the hospital with the injured passenger and was interviewed by police. He admitted to being at the party and to leaving after getting into an argument.  Parker stated that people from the party were firing at him and he fired back; however, forensic evidence proved he fired first.  He drove with police to his home and gave them two guns he had used in the shooting that evening. 

Parker has a prior conviction for Unlawful Wounding.

Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney Gerald L. Harris prosecuted this case. Please contact Macie Allen if additional information is desired.