Five Properties Added to Beach Historical Register in 2015

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

​Five properties were added to the Virginia Beach Historical Register in 2015, including antebellum church in Kempsville and four homes near the Oceanfront. The latest additions are:

  • Emmanuel Episcopal Church – The building has been in continuous use since it was constructed and consecrated in 1843 in the town of Kempsville as the fourth Lynnhaven Parish Church.
  • Selden Hall, 420 Linkhorn Drive – Designed by the firm of Wickham C. Taylor and built as a home for William Boswell Selden Grandy. Completed in 1932, the asymmetrical brick structure includes interior spaces with Georgian Revival detailing.
  • 213 43rd Street – This brick Federal Revival home was built in 1940 as the home of Admiral W.F. Crockett.
  • Darden House, 101 43rd Street – This Colonial Revival house was designed and built in the late 1920s by local architect E. Bradford Tazewell, Sr. as his home. Several defining features on the exterior and the interior are indicative of the architect’s attention to detail.  It was purchased in 1945 by William and Christine Darden and it remains in their family.
  • 207 53rd Street – This is a nice example of a small beach bungalow. Built circa 1920, the property was owned by John Miller-Masury, who had built Lakeside, now known as Greystone Manor, on Crystal Lake. It is not known what his involvement was, if any, in constructing this small residence.

The Virginia Beach Historical Register was created in 1999 to recognize historic buildings that are important to our local heritage. Owners must apply for status on the register. Information and applications are at www.vbgov.com/historicpreservation. The program is administered by the city Department of Planning and Community Development and the Virginia Beach Historic Preservation Commission. Call Mark Reed at (757) 385-8573 for additional information.

# # #
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​