Residents Urged to Run Generators Outside of Homes

Irene #056 – 12:15 p.m.

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Virginia Beach Fire Department is urging residents to run their portable generators outside of the home.  Running a generator anywhere in the home, including the garage, could be dangerous, causing residents to suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Even with the garage door open, fumes can accumulate. 

 

To avoid the danger of electrical shock, portable generators should never be connected to the building wiring system.  If you must use a generator, connect appliances directly to the generator.

 

For the most up-to-date information regarding Hurricane Irene citizens are urged to stay tuned to local television and radio stations as well as the outlets listed below:

  • VBgov.com
  • City’s VBTV Channels: Cox Cable 46, 47 & 48 and Verizon Cable 45, 46 & 47 will display emergency information including our City operational status and facilities closure notices
  • Television Channels: WTKR 3, WAVY 10 and WVEC 13
  • Local radio stations
  • Social Media Sites:
  • Citizen Services: 311 (landlines within City limits) or 385-3111; provides the City’s current operating condition status and facilities closure notices; please do not call 911 unless you have an emergency.

 

                                                                    # # #

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​