Commonwealth v. Marquis Daquan Robertson; 13 Years to Serve for Two Street Robberies Committed within an Hour of Each Other

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Harvey L. Bryant, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Marquis Daquan Robertson, 20 years old, who previously resided in the 5000 block of Rugby Road in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was sentenced today by Circuit Court Judge Glenn R. Croshaw for two (2) counts each of Robbery, Attempted Robbery, and Conspiracy, and three (3) counts of Use of a Firearm.  Judge Croshaw sentenced Robertson to 33 years in prison with 20 years suspended, leaving 13 years to serve.


Robertson pled guilty on April 24, 2013.  Had this matter gone to trial, the Commonwealth’s evidence would have proven that in the early morning hours of July 14, 2012, Marquis Robertson, Marcus Budd, and Tony Gibson committed two separate armed street robberies in the City of Virginia Beach.  At about 3: 15 a.m., Robertson and his co-defendants drove up to a man with a backpack who was walking in the Salem neighborhood.  The car stopped, and Gibson jumped out, pointed a gun at the man, and demanded his money.  Robertson also got out of the car, and punched the man in the back of the head.  Gibson stole the backpack which contained the victim’s wallet and cell phone.  The victim’s phone had his girlfriend’s number and picture in it.  The next day, the victim’s girlfriend began to get text messages from the stolen phone. One message contained a picture of Robertson.


About an hour after the first robbery, Robertson and his co-conspirators drove up to three men who were walking home after buying food and drinks from a convenience store in the Salem area.  The men noticed a car following them with its headlights off.  Tony Gibson jumped out of the car, armed and wearing a Power Rangers mask.  One victim fled as Gibson pointed a gun and demanded money from the others.  Another victim was hit twice in the face with the gun.  A tussle broke out and both remaining victims were struck by the assailants.  The robbers got away with the victims’ cigarettes and food.


The victims called police and gave a description of the car.  It was later found to belong to Marcus Budd.  When police searched the car they found two BB guns and two Power Rangers masks.  When interviewed by investigators, Robertson admitted to sending a photo of himself to the first victim’s girlfriend’s phone. 


Gibson was a juvenile at the time of offense, but certified as an adult to the Circuit Court due to the seriousness of the offenses.  Gibson and Budd are awaiting sentencing for their role in the crimes on July 22, 2013 and August 14, 2013, respectively. 


The case was prosecuted by Senior Commonwealth’s Attorney S. Catherine Dodson.  Please contact Macie Pridgen if additional information is desired.