Commonwealth v. Cameron Paul Crockett; After Four Years, an 8-Year Sentence in Involuntary Manslaughter Case

Monday, December 17, 2012

Harvey L. Bryant, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Cameron Paul Crockett, 24 years old, previously residing in the 4400 block of Clyde Street in Virginia Beach, Virginia, was sentenced today by Circuit Court Judge Frederick B. Lowe to 8 years in prison for charges of Involuntary Manslaughter and Failure to Appear.  Judge Lowe sentenced Crockett to 5 years in the Department of Corrections for Involuntary Manslaughter, following the recommendation of the jury that found him guilty in March of 2012.  Crockett was found guilty by that jury on Thursday evening, March 1.  He was to return to Circuit Court on Monday, March 5, to begin the sentencing phase of his trial.   Crockett instead fled to Guatemala, and was indicted for Failure to Appear that day.  He was apprehended in Belize and brought back to Virginia Beach for sentencing. Crockett pled guilty to Failure to Appear on August 27, 2012, and Judge Lowe today imposed an additional 3 years in prison for that offense.    


“The justice system absorbed and overcame all the obstacles thrown in the way of bringing this to a close,” Bryant said.


The Commonwealth’s evidence proved that on the evening of December 28, 2008, the 20-year-old victim, Jack Korte, and Cameron Crockett planned to go to a party together in the Great Neck area of the City of Virginia Beach.  They drank some beer before arriving at the party around 10:45 p.m.  After leaving the party, Crockett drove his Honda Accord with Jack riding in the passenger seat. As he traveled at a high rate of speed, he lost control of the car on Wolfsnare Road and ultimately crashed into a tree on the passenger’s side of the vehicle.  Observing this, witnesses immediately rushed to the scene and called police and rescue.  As responding officers attempted to administer aid to Crockett and the victim, Crockett assaulted them and yelled, “Get off me!  We’re cool!”  The victim passed away at the scene of the accident.  Crockett was taken to Virginia Beach General Hospital with minor injuries.  His blood alcohol content was between .14-.15, almost twice the legal limit. During an interview with the police, Crockett asked, “Did I hit someone?”


Crockett was previously convicted of Involuntary Manslaughter by a jury in May 2011.  That jury could not reach a verdict as to Crockett’s sentence, resulting in the Court declaring a mistrial.  Cameron Crockett had the option of Judge Lowe sentencing him rather than impaneling a new jury and retrying the case, but he declined to do so.   That second jury also found him guilty and recommended that he serve 5 years.


“John and Judy Korte are to be commended and admired for their patience and faith that justice would be done in their son’s death,” Bryant said.


Associate Commonwealth’s Attorneys Tabitha B. Anderson and Kari A. Kopnicky prosecuted the case. Please contact Macie Pridgen if additional information is desired.