Commonwealth v. Maurice Gregory Hayes; Admitted Gang Member to Serve 25 Years for Home Invasions

Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Harvey L. Bryant, Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Maurice Gregory Hayes, 23, of the 300 block of Vespasian Circle in Chesapeake, Virginia, was sentenced today by Circuit Court Judge Les L. Lilley on charges of Robbery (3 counts), Abduction (4 counts), Statutory Burglary, Burglary while Armed, Use of a Firearm (3 counts), Grand Larceny, Wearing a Mask on Private Property, and Conspiracy (2 counts). Judge Lilley sentenced Hayes to a total of 120 years in the Department of Corrections with 95 years suspended, leaving 25 years to serve. Hayes pled guilty on March 6, 2012.  The Virginia State Sentencing Guidelines recommended a maximum sentence of 24 years, and Judge Lilley exceeded that recommendation, in accordance with the plea agreement.


Had this matter gone to trial, the Commonwealth’s evidence would have proved that on January 25, 2011, Maurice Gregory Hayes and at least two other men committed a violent home invasion robbery on Amberly Road in the City of Virginia Beach.  Around 6:00 p.m., two young adult males noticed several armed, masked men in the hallway. As the gunmen demanded money and valuables, one victim was hit in the back of the head with what he believed to be a glass bottle.  During the invasion, a mom and son returned to the home and were forced to the floor of the kitchen. The son was pistol-whipped and began to bleed profusely. All four victims were forced to the kitchen floor until the robbers fled with money, cell phones, car keys, and electronics.  Police were called and began an investigation, but no suspects were immediately apprehended. 


The Commonwealth’s evidence would have also proved that on February 11, 2011, Hayes and co-defendants Drazey Carvajal and Wahid Dickey entered a home on Reading Road in the City of Virginia Beach.  The homeowner was asleep on the couch.  A neighbor observed the men enter through the side garage door and called the police.  Hayes and his co-conspirators stole cell phones, jewelry, money, and electronics.  Virginia Beach police officers were waiting outside the home when the men emerged.  They jumped a fence before being apprehended.  Dickey threw a fully loaded .45 caliber handgun from his waistband.  In addition to electronics belonging to the victim, Hayes had a .45 caliber bullet in his pocket.


Hayes admitted being a gang member to investigators with the police department and sheriff’s office.  Evidence presented today showed that Hayes wanted to get out of jail and continue this gangster lifestyle, only “smarter” so as not to get caught.  In his statement of allocution today, he told Judge Lilley, “I’m heavy in a gang and I’ve done a lot of bad stuff on the streets.” 


“You don’t want to start all over, you are proud of where you are,” Judge Lilley told Hayes.  “You didn’t just join a gang; you immersed yourself in that gang.”


The case was prosecuted by Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Susan G. Hooks and Associate Commonwealth’s Attorney Sara R. Chandler.  Please contact Macie Pridgen if additional information is desired.