Waterfront Construction and Dredging

​​​​Lynnhaven River, Photo courtesy of Lynnhaven River NOW 

“Photo court​esy of Lynnhaven River NOW”

A waterfront construction permit approval is required to construct, alter, or repair, landings, docks, bulkheads, and similar structures. The Environment and Sustainability Office is one of the three primary agencies responsible for review of applications for waterfront construction and dredging in Virginia Beach. Access the Specific Guidelines for Waterfront Construction  Submittals​.

All waterfront construction and dredging requests must be submitted on a Joint Permit Application​ (JPA) to the Virginia Marine Resources Commission (VMRC). VMRC then distributes the application to other agencies for review, including the Environment and Sustainability Office, the Army Corps of Engineers, the Virginia Institute of Marine Science, and the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.  Please complete the Tidewater JPA​ unless your project involves dredging. The Standard JPA is required to review projects involving dredging. 

In addition, applicants for dredging permits are required to provide a surety bond or other form of surety prior to the issuance of the permit. The amount of the bond is determined by the Environment and Sustainability Office.

​​Waterfront Construction and Dredging Fee

A $100 non-refundable processing fee is required for all waterfront construction and dredging permit applications.​​​