​Higher Than Normal Water Usage

Perhaps you know the reason for your higher than normal water consumption. Did you fill a pool, water your lawn frequently, or have an increase in the number of people residing in your home (even temporarily)? If not, you may have a water leak in or around your home.

To check for a leak, we recommend the following:

  • Check for a toilet leak by adding a few drops of food coloring to the water in the tank. Don't flush. Wait 10 minutes. If colored water appears in the toilet bowl, you have a toilet leak. Repairing a toilet leak is usually inexpensive and easy to do. Replacement parts are available at any hardware store.
  • If you don't find a toilet leak, check for unusual dampness in or around plumbing fixtures in your home.
  • If you did not find a leak inside your home, check for a flow on your water meter. Your meter is probably located in your yard or driveway, close to the street curb. To avoid injury, take special care when removing and replacing the meter lid. Always replace it securely. To read your water meter, note the position of the clock-style hand that records water use. Wait at least 15 minutes without using water. Look at the meter again. If the hand moved, you have a leak. Waiting longer between meter readings (overnight, for instance) might help you detect slow or intermittent leaks.
  • If you have already checked your toilets and other indoor plumbing fixtures, you may have a leak under your home or in your service line between the meter and your home. To check for a service line leak, turn off the water at your master water valve or private shut off valve. Likely locations of the valve include:

    -On the wall of your garage.
    -Near your water heater, in a bathroom vanity cabinet, or under the kitchen sink.
    -Close to an outside hose bib where the water supply pipe enters your home. The valve would be inside a box or pipe in the ground, several feet away from your home.

Once located, open a faucet to verify that the valve is working. The water flow should stop completely. Look at your water meter. If it is still registering water, there is a leak somewhere in the service line between the meter and the house.​

Please note that the City is not responsible for repairing plumbing leaks found on private property.​

If you find and repair any plumbing leaks, you may qualify for an adjustment to your bill. Request a bill adjustment for a repaired leak online here or by phone at 385-4631.


​When submitting a request online, be sure to include your account number, address, full name and phone number associated with the account.