Frequently Asked Questions

 Permits, Records Checks & Fingerprinting

The Records Unit is located in Building 11 at 2509 Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23456 and is open for operation Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The Records Unit is closed on city holidays. No permits are issued after 4 p.m.  Fingerprinting services are not available between 1 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. and after 3:30 p.m. Cash, personal checks and credit cards (Mastercard, Visa and Discover) are accepted as payments. Fees for all applications are non-refundable.

Forms are provided below to download and complete prior to arriving. It is very important to follow the instructions available with each form. Please note: where signatures are required, you must physically sign your form, as electronic signatures are not accepted.

​Service ​Fee

​Concealed Handgun Permit Application -  The Virginia Beach Police Department will no longer accept Concealed Handgun Permits on behalf of the City of Virginia Beach Circuit Court Clerk's Office effective July 1, 2022.  To better serve the residents of Virginia Beach, the Circuit Court Clerk's Office moved to an online web-based application process.  For additional information, click here for the court's webpage, visit thier offices within Building 10 at 2425 Nimmo Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23456, or call (757) 385-4186. 

​Fingerprinting of Individual - bring valid picture ID. Cards will be provided, if you do not bring your own.  Service is not available between 1 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. and after 4 p.m.

$10 - First Card
$5 - Each Additional Card

Landowner Firearm Discharge Permit Application - Completed forms must be submitted to the precinct where the land is located.  

​No Fee

​Local Criminal Record Request (Virginia Beach Only) - Requests for criminal record searches (City of Virginia Beach ONLY) will be executed by the submission of a signed and notarized "Criminal Record Information Request," Form PD-150. The instructions for the completion of this form are included in the beginning of Form PD-150. Individuals needing access to record information outside of this City should visit​​.


​Pawnbroker & Secondhand Dealers Application


​Precious Metal Permit (Dealer) Application


Junk Dealer Permit Application


​Taxi Driver Permit Application


Taxi Driver Permit Notification

Taxi Certificate (of Public Convenience) Application


​Taxi Inspection Application

$50 ​

​Vendor/Solicitor/Peddler/Ice Cream Truck Permit Application


​Vendor/Solicitor/Peddler/Ice Cream Truck Registration/Identification Card


​Family Table Top Commercial Recreation Center


​Pet Shop Licensing
​Traveling Felon Registration
​Sex Offender and Crimes Against Minors Registration Form
Sex Offender Registry Form (VSP)

 Reporting an Offense


To report an emergency situation, call 911.


To report a non-emergency situation, call (757) 385-5000.  Select non-emergency offenses can be reported online using ePRO

​Preservation of Evidence

To preserve evidence in a crime scene, do not touch anything, limit your movement through the crime scene, do not attempt to clean anything up (glass, dirt, broken window/doors, etc.), and report the crime immediately. The longer you wait to report a crime, the less likely we will be able to recover probative evidence.

Additional Information on Reporting Specific Offenses

Noise Violations

To report noise violations, call the ECCS non-emergency line at (757) 385-5000 while the violation is occurring. Due to the nature of the violation, an officer must witness the violation to take action. Chapter 23- Offenses Article II-Noise of the City Code is available online.
Contact Information