Resources for Homeless Veterans

​​​​​The City of Virginia Beach is committed to ending veteran homelessness. Homeless veterans should contact their local Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) directly. Case managers at the VAMC are responsible for referring eligible homeless veterans to the PHAs. Any interested homeless veteran should contact their local VAMC directly. The Veterans Administration (VA) office will verify the veteran’s homeless status. The PHA is responsible for income and citizenship verifications. The case manager may compile the documents, but the PHA has the final say reading their appropriateness and section 8 eligibility.

To participate in the HUD VASH program an eligible homeless family (which can be one person) would be referred from the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Hampton to the PHA. The PHA will determine if a family is income eligible and screen out lifetime sex-offender registrants.

If a family no longer needs case management as determined by the VAMC, the family is still eligible for rental assistance under the HCV program. In cases where case management is no longer needed, the PHA could use one of its own vouchers, if available, to continue assisting the family and free up a voucher for another HUD-VASH eligible family. If a regular voucher is not available, the family would continue to use the HUD-VASH voucher. If a HUD-VASH voucher is switched to an HCV program, the family is not subject to the PHA’s waiting list. When the veteran dies the voucher will remain with the family.

For further information please call (757) 722-9961 or visit the HUD-VASH page.


National Homeless Call Center
(877) 424-3838
Available 24 Hours Per Day

VA Medical Facility, Hampton VA
(866) 544-9961 - Ask for the homeless program

Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Veteran Information

Veterans Crisis Line
(800) 273-8255