Code Enforcement

Housing & Neighborhood Preservation's Code Enforcement Division maintains the safety and appearance of the city's existing structures and properties through routine inspections throughout the city. Code Enforcement inspectors respond to complaints about housing and property maintenance code violations. The inspectors patrol their assigned areas for violations, conduct systematic exterior inspections of neighborhoods on an as-needed basis, notify property owners of violations and take appropriate legal action to obtain compliance. The division addresses code violations through enforcement of the Virginia Maintenance Code and the city's property maintenance codes.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Other Points of Interest


Who is responsible for correcting water damage and mold in a residential rental unit?
Landlords, managing agents, and property owners have specific responsibilities regarding visible mold and water damage in a residential rental unit.

Can Code Enforcement help me with a mold issue in the home I am renting?
A code enforcement inspector can inspect a rental unit for visible signs of mold and mildew. If found, a notice of violation can be issued to the responsible party to have the violations corrected. The Code Enforcement Division cannot get involved with landlord/tenant disputes or provide assistance with any civil matter.

Does the city conduct any tests to determine if there is toxic mold present in my home?
No. The City of Virginia Beach does not test visible mold or for the presence of mold. The city also does not administer environmental or air quality assessments.

Should a resident choose to obtain an environmental assessment, he/she may provide a copy of the results for Code Enforcement's review to determine if enforcement action may be taken.

 Bed Bugs

Bed bugs are tiny pests that feed on blood and cause itchy, irritating bites. While the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) consider bed bugs a public health pest, they are not known to transmit or spread disease. Bed bugs do not cause damage to structures and they are not considered a public nuisance. 

As a result, the City of Virginia Beach does not conduct inspections for bed bugs and cannot address infestations under the current state and local ordinances; however, defects on the interior or exterior of the structure which could allow pests into
the unit can be addressed.  In an effort to assist residents with the identification, prevention and elimination of bed bugs, Housing & Neighborhood Preservation has provided the following links to information and resources:

Disclaimer: The appearance of any hyperlink to an external website or server does not constitute endorsement of the information, products or services contained therein. The City of Virginia Beach does not exercise any control over the validity of the link or editorial control over the information you may find at that location.
Contact Information

 Please note the following regarding Code Enforcement complaints submitted electronically:

The Virginia Freedom of Information Act includes an exemption for the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of complainants furnished in confidence with respect to complaints relating to the Uniform Statewide Building Code. If your complaint concerns the building code, the City will consider your request to have been submitted in confidence unless you indicate otherwise. Complainant information regarding all other Code Enforcement case types is not protected under the Act and will be subject to public disclosure. If you would like to make a complaint anonymously, call (757) 385-4421 (Virginia Relay TTY service for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing: 7-1-1) or complete the Register a Code Enforcement Complaint form.

 Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I submit my Miscellaneous Lien payoff inquiry?
You may submit your inquiry online through Citizen Access. Your completed inquiry will include the option to submit your payment online as well.

Can I find a list of code violations at a specific address?
No, you must contact the Code Enforcement Division for information regarding violations on a specific address.

Payment Options

How can I pay a bill for nuisance abatement work?
You can pay with a certified check, money order, cashier’s check by mail, in person, or online​. Credit cards are only accepted online at this time.

How can I pay off a lien that has been placed on my property?
Call the Code Enforcement Division to obtain a current payoff amount. This information is updated monthly. You may also submit a payoff or payment request online.

Payments can be made by mail, in person, or online​​. Payments by mail or made in person at the Code Enforcement Division Building 18-A at the Municipal Center must be by certified check, money order, or cashier's check.

The City Treasurer's Office in Building 1 at the Municipal Center will accept all forms of payment including credit cards. Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover are accepted for a fee of 2.5% per transaction.

Payments made online ​​can be paid in full by credit card. No ACH transactions or online bank transfers are accepted at this time.