Fees and Permits

​​​​​​Inspection and Re-inspection Fees

The current fee for a fire inspection is $50.00. A re-inspection fee of $50.00 will be charged on the 2nd re-inspection and every re-inspection thereafter. 

​ As of July 1st 2014 re-inspection fees have been raised to $50.00 and will be charged on the 2nd re-inspection and every re-inspection thereafter.

As of 4/14/14 the Fire Prevention Bureau will no longer generate an invoice for any fees associated with a fire inspection. There will be no hard copy left on site with a responsible party.  All fee invoices will be mailed from the Treasurer’s Office. Please contact their office with any billing inquiries at 757-385-4445​.​

Fire Watch Fees

If a business is placed on fire watch, after forty-eight (48) hours a $25.00 fee is charged. If any business is on fire watch longer than forty-eight (48) hours​, a fee of $25.00 is charged every seven (7) days until the system has been repaired. Please refer​ to the fire watch section of our site.


Any business that uses, stores or​ manufactures regulated amounts of hazardous materials or uses a hazardous process may require a permit. A business with small amounts of hazardous materials as outlined under the Fire Prevention Code may be exempt. Any hazardous chemicals that are categorized under sera title III and exceed their storage limit must be reported to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). Documentation that this has taken place must be kept on site for review by the FPB.

*Please see our permits flyer for additional info*

All applications need to be filled out and turned into our office and invoices will be filled out at that time. This includes: 

  • Vehicle displays

  • Bonfires

  • Underground Tank Removals (UST’s)

  • Pit burns, fumigations

  • Tents over 900sqft. 

Once an invoice has been filled out for the above items, the applicant must pay all fees at the City Treasurer's Office.

Please be aware that Fireworks and Pyrotechnic applications must be filled out and payment turned in at our office, not the Treasurer's Office.

Permit Flyer Information