Concealed Handgun Permit

​​​​​​​​​​Reference the Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.01​, et seq, for the laws governing concealed handguns.

Visit the Department of State Police Web site for helpful information and an application form.

Electronic filing of Concealed Handgun Permits

Any person 21 years of age or older residing in the City of Virginia Beach, or if a member of the United States Armed Forces domiciled in Virginia Beach, may apply for a 5 year permit to carry a concealed handgun.  The fee for a concealed handgun permit is $50.00.  Make your check payable to Clerk of Circuit Court. 

Persons may apply at the Circuit Court Clerk's Office courthouse location, Building 10, 3rd Floor, 2425 Nimmo Parkway (757) 385-4186.

Applications are reviewed by the Virginia Beach Police Department and the Circuit Court. The Court requires the applicant provide proof of competence with a handgun as provided in § 18.2-308.02(B) The final decision to issue the permit is made by a Circuit Court Judge.

Permit Renewal

Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident concealed handgun permit shall be issued, upon application, and upon receipt by the circuit court of criminal history record information, a new five-year permit unless it is found that the applicant is subject to any of the disqualifications set forth in Code §18.2-308.09. The same $50 fee applies. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit shall not be required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit, and the application for the new permit, including a photocopy of the applicant's valid photo identification, may be submitted via the United States mail to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office, Building 10, 3rd Floor, 2425 Nimmo Parkway, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456.     

​Replacement of a lost or damaged permit: If you need to replace your permit because the original has been lost, destroyed or damaged, you may:

  • Personally appear at the Circuit Court Clerk's Office, 3rd Floor, Judicial Center, Building 10, to get a replacement permit.  You must present a picture ID (i.e. driver's license or government issues ID), and pay a $5.00 fee; or

  • Have a replacement permit mailed to you by submitting the Replacement of Lost or Destroyed Concealed Handgun Permit, along with a $5.00 check or money order payable to circuit court clerk. The court will issue the replacement permit within 10 business days of receiving the notarized statement and fee.

Replacement permit for a change of address: The court that issued the permit may issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address upon presentation by the permit holder of the valid permit and written notice of a change of address on a form provided by the Department of State Police​. The person must surrender the current permit before a replacement permit is issued. The person must pay $10 to the clerk's office and provide copy of receipt. Code § 18.2-308.011(A).