The Circuit Court Clerk’s Office

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The general public is not allowed to bring cell phones, personal communication devices or electronic devices into the Judicial Center court building.  The Judicial Center consists of 3 buildings connected by corridors (Buildings 10, 10A and 10B).  You MUST enter through the main entrance of Building 10 located at 2425 Nimmo Pkwy, Virginia Beach, VA 23456. THIS IS THE ONLY PUBLIC ENTRANCE TO THE COURT BUILDING                                               ​

Tina Sinnen









The Clerk's Office is open to the public from 8:30am until 4:00pm. 

 Reference to the drop boxes in front of Building 10-B. 

The drop boxes outside of Building 10-B will be brought inside permanently to their normal, pre-Covid, locations beginning on May 1st, 2021.

As we work through this challenge together, please know that your safety, the safety of my staff, while still trying to conduct business the best we can is at the forefront of my thoughts.  Everyone please be calm, stay safe and remember to wash your hands!

Contact Numbers  
Tina Sinnen, Circuit Court Clerk               385-8817
Tracey Entwisle, Chief Deputy Clerk        385-8819
Pam Walizer, Land Records Supervisor   385-8829
Nancy White, Civil Supervisor                   385-8532
Elena Chan, Civil Asst. Supervisor            385-4273
Gigi Smith, Criminal Supervisor                385-4043
Nilla Harris, Criminal Asst. Supervisor     385-4489
Valerie Manigo, Crim. Asst. Supervisor   385-8907


October 28, 2021 The Circuit Courts Clerks Office will be closing at Noon for the Celebration of Life for Judge Glenn Croshaw.

November 2, 2021 The Circuit Court Clerk's Office will be closed for Election Day.


Satellite Office location of the Circuit Court Clerk's Office is 

permanently CLOSED as of March 12, 2021 at 2:30pm.  

We are truly grateful to Mr. Richard Holland of Farmer's Bank for allowing us to use his office space for the past year to provide some of our services while we dealt with the pandemic.  

With Mr. Holland graciously allowing us to use the "bank drive-thru" facility for almost the entire year of 2020, he gave the Circuit Court Clerk's Office the ability to provide certain "in-person" services without putting the public or my staff in harm's way from the virus.  We will always be very grateful to Mr. Holland and Farmer's Bank.    


​The Clerk of the Circuit Court is a Constitutional Official and is elected by the voters of the locality and every Circuit Court in the Commonwealth of Virginia is a court of record. The Clerk of court is charged with the custody, safekeeping and proper indexing of legal and quasi-legal papers deposited in her office. The Clerk’s Office is responsible for filing of all civil suits; docketing and filing of criminal actions; filing divorce suits; and filing adoption petitions. Additional services provided by the Clerk's office include recording land records and plats; probating wills; issuing hunting and fishing licenses; processing notary public applications; issuing marriage licenses; recording military discharge forms (DD-214’s) and assumed business names. It is the duty of the Clerk to assign a deputy clerk to each courtroom to assist the nine Circuit Court Judges in carrying out each day's activities.

We are closed on State Holidays.​​


NOTE: Proposed Amendments to the Constitution of Virginia May 30, 2018​

Click the links to be directed to the three proposed amendments to the Constitution of Virginia agreed to by the Virginia General Assembly during the 2018 Session.


What is Probate?

Probate is the official proving of the will as the authentic and valid last will and testament of the deceased
Is the appointment of an executor or administrator and the formal administration of an estate always required?
The appointment of an executor or administrator is not always required. If such is the situation, no formal administration is necessary. This is usually true where the estate is small (under the statutory amount set by law) and for payment of small sums by certain government, occupational, and banking agencies.)

Additionally, qualification is not necessary to transfer a motor vehicle title, if the motor vehicle is paid off. In these circumstances, the will is probated (proved and recorded in the Wills Books of the Circuit Court) and nothing further is required. Other instances where formal qualification or administration may not be required are joint accounts with right of survivorship in banks, saving and loan associations, or credit unions.
In most cases, the payment of life insurance proceeds to a named beneficiary and the transfer of real estate to a surviving spouse or other person where there were survivorship rights in the deed occur outside the estate.

What is dying intestate?

A person dies testate if they left a will. A person dies intestate if they do not have a valid will at the time of death. If a person dies intestate, then the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, in effect at the time of death, determine who the heirs are and hence who receives the decedent's property.

Where can one go for more information or answers to specific questions?

Prior to coming in, please call one of the deputy clerks of the Probate Department of the Circuit Court Clerk's Office at (757) 385-8831. They will give you specific instructions regarding what you need at the time of probate.

What taxes are to be paid?

At the time of filing the will, the probate tax must be paid. ($1 State tax and 33 cents local tax, per $1,000 value of the estate - Example: If the estate value is $50,000, then the State tax would be $50 and the local tax would be $16.67). There are also recording fees at the time of probate

Is an executor or administrator compensated?

The administration of an estate generally requires a fair amount of time and energy. Compensation is allowed. The Commissioner of Accounts must approve the compensation.

What are the basic duties of an executor or administrator?

Probably the most important duty is to ascertain and take possession of the deceased person's property over which the executor or administrator has responsibility or control. Further, the fiduciary (executor or administrator) must determine the liabilities (debts) of the estate and determine the value of the estate over which the fiduciary does not have control (for tax-accounting reasons). Further, the fiduciary must see to the payment of debts of the deceased and the estate (including taxes) and the sale or distribution of the property of the estate in accordance with the dictates of the will and Virginia law. Generally, the fiduciary must file a complete inventory for the estate within four months of qualification with the Commissioner of Accounts. The Commissioner of Accounts is a local person (generally an attorney) appointed by the Circuit Court to oversee and to ensure that estates are properly handled. The fiduciary must also give written notice of qualification or probate to the heirs and beneficiaries of the estate or those who would have been the heirs, within thirty days after qualification or probate.
Finally, the fiduciary must make an accounting (generally a list of all assets of the estate, all distributions and all assets on hand) on a yearly basis until a final accounting can be made. Often, a first and final accounting can be made at the conclusion of the first year following qualification.

What should I take with me to probate a will or to qualify on an estate?

First, the original will must be taken to the Clerk's Office of the Circuit Court in your local jurisdiction. It is necessary that an appointment be made with the Clerk or a deputy clerk. Second, the person offering the will for probate or seeking to qualify should know all the assets owned by the deceased and, as accurately as possible, the value of those assets. A copy of the death certificate should also be taken to the Court. This document contains much of the information that will be needed by the Clerk or deputy clerk assisting you.
When should I probate the will or, if there is no will, seek to be appointed administrator?
There is no set time frame in which a will must be probated or estate administration must be started. The death of a loved one is a particularly emotional, stressful, and busy time. The probate of the will can usually wait until a week or so after the funeral. It is recommended that the initial steps in the estate process start within thirty (30) days after death. If any questions exist, call your attorney or the Circuit Court Clerk's Office.

Who inherits the property of an intestate (person dying without a will)?

If a person dies without a will, Virginia law provides a course of descendants as follows (after payment of funeral expenses, debts and cost of administration).
All to the surviving spouse, unless there are children (or their descendants) of someone other than the surviving spouse in which case, one-third goes to the surviving spouse and the remaining two-thirds is divided among all children.
If no surviving spouse, all passes to the children and their descendants.
If none, then all goes to the deceased's father and mother or the survivor.
If none, then all passes to the deceased's brothers and sisters and their descendants.
There are further contingent beneficiaries set out in the Virginia statutes. (Virginia Code Annotated §64.1-1)

Who in the Circuit Court handles the probate of wills?

Usually, the Clerk of the Circuit Court or a deputy clerk handles the probate of wills and the Circuit Court judge is not involved. (Virginia Code Annotated §64.1-77) However, any person interested in the will may appeal to a judge within six months of the order of the clerk admitting a will to probate. (Virginia Code Annotated §64.1-78)

Where should the will be probated?

Virginia does not have a separate probate court. The will should be probated in the Circuit Court of the city or county where the decedent resided or where the decedent owned real estate; or if none, where the decedent owned any real estate; or if none, where the decedent died or has any estate. If the decedent died in a nursing home or similar institution, then that person's residence is presumed to be where he or she resided prior to becoming a patient at such home.

Please call 757-385-8831 to make an appointment.​​


Application for Marriage

Wedding ringsThe Application for Marriage  is available to fill out online complete.  

Both parties are encouraged to complete the form prior to arriving at the Clerk's Office. This will save considerable time in the processing of your application.

Certified copy of a marriage license

You may obtain a certified copy of a marriage license from the Circuit Court Clerk's Office that issued the marriage license. You may make the request in person or by mail.  Trequest a certified copy of your marriage license by mail, complete the Certified Copy of Marriage License Form and mail it to:

Virginia Beach Circuit Court Clerk's Office
Attention Marriage Licenses
2425 Nimmo Parkway 
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456

Be certain to include the following when submitting the form to the Clerk's Office:

  • The full name of both parties
  • The date of the marriage
  • The place of marriage
  • A money order, certified check or in-state personal check, in the amount of $2.50 per EACH copy, made payable to the "Circuit Court Clerk" 
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope.

  (Virginia Code Annotated, §20-20)

 Circuit Court Filing Fee Schedule

​The following will provide you with information concerning filing and service fees for the Circuit Court Civil Division as well as other miscellaneous fees including the Clerk's fee Schedule for Deeds.​​



Hunting and fishing licenses may be obtained online at Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or from the Clerk of Circuit Court or from private sporting goods stores or bait and tackle shops. A license is not required for fishing on private property with permission of property owner. Please contact the License Division for specific exemptions on saltwater fishing licensing.

 Real Estate Records (Deeds)

The Clerk of the Circuit Court records, indexes and permanently stores all real estate records for the City of Virginia Beach.


Due to the complexity and length of time to process these cases, as of January 1, 2015, confessions of judgment will be taken by appointment only. To schedule an appointment please call 757-385-4186.


If you are doing research for Virginia Beach Circuit Court Civil or Criminal records,
you will need to utilize the State's website ONLY. "".
We have changed our case information system.
Thank you for your cooperation ​​