Personal Property Assessment Appeals

​​​Personal Property Assessments Can Be Appealed Based on Condition or High Mileage to Reduce a Personal Property Tax Bill!

​If you feel your personal property (this includes: cars; trucks; motorcycles; RVs and business use vehicles) has been assessed for more than its fair market value, you may now appeal the assessment. 
  • An annual physical inspection is necessary if the appeal is based on the condition of the property.
  • Any adjustment of the original assessment will consider the overall condition of the property and the allowances provided in the most recent January edition of the pricing guide. For new year model vehicles, the assessment will consider the price indicated on the bill of sale.
  • All assessment appeals require an affidavit prescribed by the Commissioner of the Revenue ​and signed by the taxpayer. A taxpayer's signature must be certified by a Deputy of the Commissioner of the Revenue or acknowledged before a Notary Public. The affidavit must include the specific reason(s) for the appeal of the original assessment. The original document is required (copies are not accepted).
  • The Commissioner of the Revenue's office may require any information necessary to collaborate a taxpayer's claim or appeal.
  • Review the High Mileage Chart below to see the minimum mileage required for a vehicle to qualify for a high mileage deduction.

 Personal Property Appeals Details

The 2020 drive-thru appeals service scheduled for May and June is canceled.

Please email or call our office for information on alternative ways to appeal your personal property assessment. 

Email: •  Phone: 757.385.4487 • Fax: 757.427.1802


You must submit a current Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) annually to the Commissioner of the Revenue to qualify for your exemption from the Local Vehicle Registration Fee and Personal Property tax if you have a legal state of residence other than Virginia. If the active duty military member co-owns a vehicle with his/her spouse or the spouse has a vehicle in his/her name and does not claim VA as their legal state of residence, he or she may sign and submit an affidavit for military spouse along with the active duty military member's current LES to qualify for the exemption. Please include a daytime phone number and your driver's license number.
Email: •  Phone: 757.385.4487 • Fax: 757.427.1802

 High Mileage Chart

Model Year   Mileage Vehicle Must Have as of January 1, 2020 ​
2020 NADA does not provide a value adjustment for current year models. Consideration is made on a case-by-case basis upon receipt of appeal.​
2019   20,001 miles
2018 35,001 miles
2017 45,001 miles
2016 60,001 miles
2015 70,001 miles
2014 85,001 miles
2013 95,001 miles
2012 105,001 miles
2011 120,001 miles
2010 130,001 miles
2009 140,001 miles
2008 150,001 miles
2007 155,001 miles
2006 & older 165,001 miles

Contact Information