If You Have Moved - Personal Property

​​​​​The proration of personal property taxes is provided in the Code of Virginia § 58.1-3516 and Virginia Beach City Ordinance 35-6.1. The Commonwealth of Virginia requires individuals to directly inform the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles when a vehicle moves to another locality or state.

If a vehicle is permanently moved out of state, first register the vehicle in the new state and forward a copy of the new state registration to the Personal Property Taxpayers Division of the Commissioner of the Revenue's office. In addition to the new registration, the Personal Property Taxpayers Division requires documentation of the owner's move to the new state. Some examples of documentation include a lease agreement, a closing statement for a new home, a utility bill, etc. 

If the vehicle has not been registered in the new state or if documentation of the move to the new state is unavailable, an original "Out of State Moves Change Affidavit" must be completed and returned with supporting documentation. The original affidavit must be witnessed by a Virginia Beach Deputy Commissioner of the Revenue or notarized by a Notary Public. We are unable to accept these affidavits by fax or email. The Personal Property Taxpayers Division will review the documents upon receipt to determine if an adjustment to the tax bill is warranted. Please contact the Personal Property Taxpayers Division with questions or clarification on the supporting documentation required.

Contact Information