A gala evening of international song and dance will fill the Sandler Center for the Performing Arts on Saturday, Sept. 21, in honor of Virginia Beach’s 50th anniversary.
Hosted by the Sister Cities Association of Virginia Beach, the 7 p.m. celebration will feature music from six nations: Ireland, Japan, Nicaragua, Norway, the Philippines and the United States. Symphonicity – the symphony orchestra of Virginia Beach – and the Virginia Beach Chorale will perform, along with delegations from Virginia Beach’s Sister Cities:
· Bangor, Northern Ireland
· Moss, Norway
· Miyazaki, Japan
· San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
· Plus the “friendship city” of Olongapo, the Philippines
The gala is open to the public. Admission is $25 for adults and $10 for children 12 and younger. Vouchers are available from the City Clerk’s Office in City Hall, 2401 Courthouse Drive, Suite 281. Call City Clerk Ruth Fraser at (757) 385-4303.
Sister City delegations will visit Virginia Beach Sept. 18 to 21 to honor the city’s 50th anniversary. In addition to the gala, they will:
· Host a student art exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 2200 Parks Ave., featuring art created by young people in all the Sister Cities. The exhibit will run Sept. 19 and 20.
· Visit the Norwegian Lady statue at the Oceanfront and dedicate a peace pole there, Sept. 19 at 1:30 p.m.
· Dedicate a peace bench and rededicate the Azumaya garden-viewing house at the Japanese garden in Red Wing Park on Sept. 19 at 3 p.m.
· Dedicate a peace pole at Town Center on Sept. 20 at 10:45 a.m.
· Plant a tree and dedicate a peace bench at City Hall on Sept. 21 at 10 a.m.
All events are open to the public. For more information on the Sister Cities visit, contact City Clerk Ruth Fraser at (757) 385-4303 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #