First Police and Fire Station Placed on Beach Historical Register
Building on 24th Street Built in 1924
Thursday, April 10, 2014 · 11:00 am
The first police and fire station building constructed for the town of Virginia Beach has been recognized for its historic status by placement on the Virginia Beach Historical Register. The building at 211 24th St. was placed on the register via action of the Virginia Beach Historical Review Board on March 20. The building is the 48th to be recognized with placement on the local register.
The first police and fire station was constructed in1924 on a lot purchased by the Town of Virginia Beach. It operated from 1925 to 1938 at that location until a new, larger station was built on Arctic Avenue. The newer station is no longer standing. The building on 24th Street has been used for a number of office and retail activities since it ceased its public service. An addition was built on the south side in the 1950s to provide more of a storefront appearance, and a subsequent addition was built on the north side in the 1970s. The Virginia Beach Professional Firefighters purchased the building in 2012 and has made renovations that preserved the original section of the building.
The Virginia Beach Historical Register was created in 1999 to recognize historic buildings in Virginia Beach that are important to our local heritage. Property owners must apply for status on the register. Applications are available online at www.vbgov.com/historicpreservation. The program is administered by the Virginia Beach Department of Museums and the Virginia Beach Historic Preservation Commission. Call Mark Reed at (757) 385-5104 for additional information.
# # #