October is Energy Awareness Month and is a great time to get started on the path toward energy savings. The City of Virginia Beach has a variety of online information to help residents and businesses save both energy and money at: www.vbgov.com/energy
At our website, there are useful tips that include:
- Energy Calculators for Home and Work
- A How-To Energy Audit Video
- Virginia Beach’s Energy Efficient Building Tax Classification Program Information
During this year’s Energy Awareness Month, the City is introducing a new energy management software application - EnergyCAP Enterprise. This program allows increased tracking of electric, natural gas, water, sewer and fuel consumption. The project also included three interfaces:
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) which allows the utility provider to send monthly utility bills electronically
- An accounts payable system interface for automated payments to the City’s accounts payable system
- An Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR’s Portfolio Manager system interface which allows to benchmark our buildings nationally
With this software, the City has improved energy reporting and tracking that will help reduce energy costs, improve energy efficiency of City buildings, and increase reporting on greenhouses gases resulting from government operations.
The City of Virginia Beach pays over $22 million in energy costs and maintains approximately 3 million square feet of building space. The City has been an Energy Star partner since April 2011.
For more information about the E-STAR program for commercial buildings, visit www.energystar.gov/buildings. For more information about Virginia Beach’s Energy Management Program, visit www.vbgov.com/energy
About Our Partners:
EnergyCAP (www.energycap.com) provides the EnergyCAP Enterprise software, including hosting, implementation, bill processing, and support services.
Xebec Data (www.xebecdata.com) provides the electronic delivery of monthly utility bills and usage to the City using Electronic Data Interchange (EDI).
# # #