The Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) provides jobs and workplace readiness skills to young people who often lack the skills required to obtain employment and succeed in the workplace. Following their participation in the program, young people can include solid work experience and abilities on their resumes.
The youth have an opportunity to develop skills, set career goals, earn money and learn more about the community in which they live.
Participants are Virginia Beach residents between the ages 16 – 21. Youth will earn at least $7.50 per hour for 35-40 hours per week for seven weeks. The program runs June 20 - August 12, 2016. Youth will be screened, interviewed and matched with prospective employers. Workplace readiness and financial literacy training will be provided.
Previous placements have included a variety of city agencies such as Parks & Recreation, Public Health, Virginia Beach City Public Schools, and private companies including STIHL, Inc., NEX, and Forbes Candies.
Participant Eligibility Requirements
- Be at least 16 years of age and no older than 21 years of age on the first day of work (June 20, 2016)
- Reside in the city of Virginia Beach
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Commit to the entire seven week work program, which includes a one week orientation training (unless otherwise given prior approval)
- Complete the screening procedure
- Attend all trainings as required
- Complete online application, including essay
- If selected, complete interview as scheduled
- Provide all documents as required: resume, two reference letters, copy of most current report card or college transcript
- Present a valid photo ID and Social Security Card
- Complete career and personality assessment
- Attend full week of orientation/training
For Potential Employer Partners
The Summer Youth Employment Program collaborates with local businesses, not-for-profits, city agencies and the faith-based community to join in the challenge of youth employment in order to provide an opportunity for more youth to have meaningful summer job experiences.
- Offer youth quality work experience
- Recruitment, eligibility and placement process facilitated by program staff
- Support from program staff for both supervisors and youth
- Youth develop employability skills, professionalism, teamwork, and appropriate workplace behavior
- Work site should be located in the city of Virginia Beach
- Commit to donate funds to hire youth and/or pay the youth directly following placement
- Provide productive and significant work assignments for youth to develop responsible work habits, basic job skills, an awareness of workplace expectations, and explore career interests
- Provide on the job training and full work site orientation
- Offer youth a minimum of 35 hours a week for seven weeks for no less than $7.50 per hour
- Assign work site supervisor(s) who will serve as a positive mentor
Commonly asked questions have been summarized in this FAQ document
. If you have any additional questions, contact Nicky Vasquez at 385-0428 or firstname.lastname@example.org