Energy Advisory Committee
On April 28, 2009, Mayor William D. Sessoms established the Mayor's Alternative Energy Task Force to analyze energy issues affecting Virginia Beach.
The task force delivered a report of its findings and recommendations to City Council, and among them was a suggestion that City Council create and appoint an Energy Advisory Committee. On January 25, 2011, the report was adopted with the caveat that certain recommendations, including the creation of the Energy Advisory Committee, would be pursued only upon further direction by the Council. Consequently, on March 22, 2011, City Council appointed the Chairperson of the Committee and seven additional members were appointed in month as well.
- Work with City staff and industry representatives to implement and track the City's progress on meeting the recommendations of the Task force, and advise City Council on an annual basis of that progress.
- Track federal, state, and local energy policies that may impact the City.
- Conduct Energy SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) Analysis for the City.
- Recommend to City Council an overall energy organization administration structure for the City.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned by City Council.