1989 Jake Sears Road, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday
Resource Recovery Center
Only waste generated at the primary residence of City of Virginia Beach citizens may be received at the Virginia Beach Landfill and Resource Recovery Center. Waste must be delivered in a privately owned, non-commercial, automobile, station wagon, passenger or minivan, unmodified low-sided pickup truck, or a trailer that is no larger than a pickup truck bed. Proof of Virginia Beach residency must be provided.
Now Accepting Electronics!
The Resource Recovery Center at the City Landfill offers recycling services for the following items:
- Alkaline (AA, AAA, C, D), Boat, Car, Camera, Cell Phone, Hearing Aid, Lead Acid, Lithium, Rechargeable, Trucks
- The scale attendant must be informed that batteries are included in a load. These items should not be commingled with other items.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
- Calculators, Cameras, Cell Phones, Computer Monitors, Computers, DVD Players, Electronic Scanners, Electronic Tablets, E-Readers, Facsimile Machines, Laptops, MP3 Players, Printers, Radios, Televisions, TTYs
- Aerosol Spray Cans, Automotive Fluids, Herbicides, Pesticides, Household Cleaners, Gasoline (Up to 5 Gallons), Fertilizer, Free Liquids, Pool Chemicals, CFLs or Fluorescent Tubes, Oil and Water Based Paint, Propane Tanks
- Appliances containing Freon gases brought by citizens from their primary residence in Virginia Beach will be processed and disposed of free of charge.
- Aluminum, Bed Frames, Electrical Cords, Ferrous Metal, Lawn Mowers, Metal Lawn Furniture, Stainless Steel
Oyster and Clam Shells
- Up to four automobile or light truck tires with or without rims can be disposed of free of charge by Virginia Beach citizens from their primary residence.
Woody Yard Debris
- Brush and branches will be accepted up to 6 inches in diameter.
- No commercial yard waste is accepted
The Recycling Drop-Off at the City Landfill accepts the following items:
- Clear, green and brown glass bottles and jars without lids
- Steel and aluminum cans, pie pans, and foil
- Plastic bottles ONLY, such as milk and water jugs, colored laundry and dish detergent bottles
- Lids may be reattached to bottles
- Newspaper, cardboard boxes, chipboard (cereal box, cracker box, etc.), junk mail, magazines, office paper
Please only use the landfill for items that cannot be discarded at the Resource Recovery Center or Recycling Drop-Off. City Landfill Staff are available to help answer any questions about what items can be recycled.
The following items are not accepted at the City Landfill:
- Animal carcasses
- Animal manure
- Commercial tires, agricultural equipment and industrial tires
- Oil drums (unless both ends are cut out and rinsed)
- Dust or severely dust laden waste
- Hazardous waste
- Heavy construction and demolition rubble
- Large quantities of cable, wire rope and similar materials
- Large tree trunk stumps and timber over 6 inches in diameter
- Loose leaves
- Materials containing friable asbestos
- Medical waste
- PCB (Polychlorinated Biphenyls) waste
- Radioactive waste
- Railroad ties and creosote materials
- Special waste including contaminated soil, pesticide containers, sandblast, sludge, etc.
- Engine blocks, transmissions, axles, etc.
- Waste deemed unacceptable by the City Landfill and Resource Recovery Center Superintendent or designee or prohibited by City’s operating permit.
The City Landfill and Resource Recovery Center is closed during City Observed Holidays and during times of inclement weather such as high winds, lightening, icy roads or other unsafe conditions.
The City Landfill and Resource Recovery Center is a municipal solid waste facility that is highly regulated through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).