Garbage and Household Waste
Trash and household waste are collected in 95-gallon containers. The containers may be purchased from the Waste Management Division by calling 385-4650 to schedule delivery or by visiting our office at 3024 Holland Road.
Please help us to provide efficient service for you by following these guidelines:
- Have containers and/or items for pickup at the street by 7:00 a.m. the day of collection.
- Put the container on the street with the handle toward your house.
- Keep at least 3 feet of clearance between your container and any other item (bags, limbs, bulky items, mailboxes, cable boxes, or vehicles) including the blue recycle container.
- Remove containers from public view at the end of collection day.
- Clearly label your container with your address and record your container serial number.
- No other garbage will be collected outside of the black can except for yard waste.
- To report service problems, please call 385-4650 on your collection day or by noon the following business day.
Curbside Collection of Yard Waste
- Provided on your normal collection day, and
- DOES NOT REQUIRE a work order.
- Limbs up to 4 feet long and 6 inches in diameter will be collected in a pile not to exceed 4 x 4 x 4 feet.
- One pile, generated from each house, will be collected on each collection day.
- You may also dispose of smaller yard debris, such as grass and leaves (no dirt, rocks, mulch or root balls) in up to 25 clear plastic bags, not more than 25 lbs. per bag.
- Tree removal debris is not collected at the curbside. However, it can be collected through the yard debris container program, provided each piece is no larger than 6 inches in diameter.
Yard Debris Container Program
- For larger amounts of yard debris, roll-off containers are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. There is a fee for this service: $40 for weekdays and $75 for weekends.
- The containers measure 13 x 7 x 5 feet.
- Tree limbs must be no larger than 6 inches in diameter and must fit totally within the container.
- If you place bags of yard waste in the trailer, you must use clear plastic bags, but loose leaves and grass are acceptable.
- You may schedule the container for a day with AM or PM delivery available. However, trailers delivered on Friday will be picked up on Monday.
- Someone at least 18 years old must sign for the trailer when delivered, but need not be home when it is picked up.
- Please note that Landfill II does not accept tree removal debris over 6 inches in diameter.
Please call 385-4650 well in advance of your need to use the roll-off container, as this service is popular to residents. This service is not available online.
- Call 385-4650 at least by 5 p.m. of the work day before your collection day to place a work order.
- Most household discards will be collected, however we DO NOT pick up remodeling or building materials; carpet; doors; cabinets; toilets; sinks; rocks; dirt; concrete; vehicle parts; tires; paint cans; glass; propane tanks and hazardous materials.
- Please mention if you have a Freon-containing appliance because this item requires special handling.
If homeowners haul normal household waste directly, there is no charge for disposal at these two Virginia Beach sites.
City of Virginia Beach Landfill
1989 Jakes Sears Road (near Regent University, off Centerville Turnpike)
Tuesday - Saturday: 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Landstown Transfer Station
1825 Concert Drive (off Rosemont Road, near Tidewater Community College)
Monday - Friday: 5 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 7 a.m. - Noon
The waste must be generated in the City of Virginia Beach from the primary residence of the disposer and it must be delivered in a privately owned non-commercial automobile, station wagon, passenger van, mini van, unmodified low sided pickup truck or trailer no larger than a pickup truck bed. Proof of Virginia Beach residency must be provided.
Most household related items can be brought to the landfill except for lead or oil-based paint. If discarding any kind of drum or can, both ends must be cut off before the landfill will accept these items.
Household hazardous waste materials need to be discarded through the City of Virginia Beach Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the City of Virginia Beach Landfill.