Take Advantage of the Toilet Rebate Program . . . We'll Pay You $75
The Virginia Beach Department of Public Utilities offers customers a $75 rebate for each conventional toilet replaced with an ultra low-flush toilet. Since ultra low-flush toilets use no more than 1.6 gallons of water per flush, they can significantly reduce your water and wastewater treatment bills.
1. Check your eligibility. To be eligible for the rebate:
- You must be a water customer of the Virginia Beach Department of Public Utilities.
- Your current toilet must use more than 1.6 gallons per flush.
- Your current toilet must not have been previously rebated through the program (even if by a previous property owner). Please note: Since July 1, 1993, all new construction has been required to install low-flush toilets.
2. After you’ve verified your eligibility, pick up and complete the rebate application and purchase your plumbing permit(s) at the Office of Permits and Inspections, located at the Municipal Center on the first floor of Building 2. The cost of one permit covers the replacement of up to three toilets.
3. Purchase an ultra low-flush toilet. For even higher water efficiency, consider a WaterSense certified toilet. These toilets use 20 percent less water than the current federal standard. You can find a list of WaterSense approved high-efficiency toilets at www.epa.gov/watersense
4. Once your new toilet has been installed, schedule an inspection at https://citizenaccess.vbgov.com/. You must have a registered account before you can schedule your inspection. Should you experience any difficulties registering or scheduling, please call (757) 385-4211 ext 3 for assistance.
5. Have your contractor dispose of the old toilet(s). If you're doing the project yourself, dispose of your old toilet(s) at the City of Virginia Beach landfill free of charge. The landfill is located at 1989 Jake Sears Road, off of Centerville Turnpike not far from the intersection of Centerville Turnpike and Indian River Road. Operating hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., , off of Centerville Turnpike not far from the intersection of Centerville Turnpike and Indian River Road. Operating hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. Call (757) 385-1980 to inquire about landfill restrictions.
6. A rebate check will be mailed approximately six weeks after the inspection is completed.