are a great way to reduce stormwater runoff from your property and use rainwater for flowers, shrubs, trees, lawns, or indoor plants. You can also use the water to wash your car, boat, dog, or muddy shoes, and fill your birdbaths.
Did you know...
One inch of rain on 1,000 horizontal square feet of roof yields 600 gallons of rainwater.
Follow these instructions to make your own rain barrel using a heavy duty plastic trash can.
Supplies you'll need:
1 - heavy duty plastic trash can
1 - 1/2" hose bib
1 - 6" chimney pipe trim collar
2 - 1/2" faucet tailpipe nuts
2 - #15 O-rings
1 - 1/2" threaded nipple
1 - 1/2" threaded PVC extender
4 - small screws
1 - piece 7"x7" nylon screen
Drill with screw tip
3/4" paddle drill bit
Tin snips or jig saw
1. Drill 3/4" hole approximately 3" to 4" from bottom of barrel.
2. Drill 3/4" hole near top of barrel.
3. Screw 1/2" threaded nipple into hose bib and insert into bottom hole.
4. Slide O-ring over threaded nipple from inside of barrel and screw on faucet tailpipe nut until secure.
5. Insert 1/2" threaded PVC extender into upper hole.
6. Slide O-ring onto threaded end from inside and secure with faucet tailpipe nut.
7. Cut 5" hole in trash can lid using tin snips or jigsaw.
8. Trim nylon screening to fit chimney pipe trim collar.
9. Place screen, then trim cover over hole in lid and attach with screws.
10. It is recommended to sit the rain barrel on concrete blocks to provide for level surface.