Engineering and Construction
Engineering and construction activities include several facets:
- Review, development, project management, contract bidding, and construction inspection of the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for the water and sanitary sewer systems
- Compliance with regulations, such as the 2007 Hampton Roads consent order that is requiring reduction and elimination of sanitary sewer overflows under the Clean Water Act, as enforced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- Assessment of the City’s current and future water supply needs
- Operation and maintenance of the Lake Gaston and Stumpy Lake water supply systems
- Engineering and technical support in other areas such as water quality, groundwater monitoring, asset management, mapping services, record keeping, and regional water and sanitary sewer planning.