Automated Systems Support
Systems Support consists of one civilian employee, who is backed by the City's Communications and Information Technology (ComIT) Department.
The Administrative Technician performs a variety of financial and administrative duties in support of the Executive Directors and all commands of the department.
Central Records Unit - (757) 385-4331
The Records Unit is responsible for the following functions:
- Making recommendations on concealed weapons permits
- Manage inquiries made for permits and criminal history information disseminated by the unit. This information is subject to audit at any time by the State Police.
- Coordinate, with the Neighborhood Preservation Code Enforcement Division, the processing and removal of abandoned vehicles.
- Billing of false burglar alarms through the Treasurer's Office
Crime Reporting Unit
The Crime Reporting Unit consists of three sections: Telephone Reporting Unit, False Alarm Reduction Unit, and PhotoSafe.
- Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) - Personnel receive and enter non-emergency complaints, via the telephone, in order to eliminate the need to dispatch a patrol officer on routine cases
- False Alarm Reduction Unit
Logistical Support has two main units: the Property and Evidence Unit and the Uniform & Supply Unit.
Property & Evidence Unit - (757) 385-4578
The Virginia Beach Police Property & Evidence unit manages all items that come into the possession of the Police Department including tracking all movement of the items through a computerized evidence management system, checking items out to court and forensic labs, returning items to owners and disposal of unneeded items. Once items are in the Property & Evidence they can only be checked out or returned to an owner at the express written permission of the case officer.
Uniform & Supply Unit - (757) 385-8185
The Uniform & Supply Unit is responsible for the purchasing and issuing of police uniforms, supplies and most equipment for the Police Department.
Office of Planning & Analysis
The Office of Planning & Analysis provides various administrative support functions and staff assistance to the Chief of Police and other police and city personnel. Some of the functions of this office include research and development, crime mapping analysis, web development and support, various reports on crime statistics, and other related materials.
The Payroll Unit prepares the payroll twice monthly and maintains personnel files and leave records on each department employee.