Planning Department Divisions
The Planning Department is led by Interim Planning Director Barry Frankenfield and consists of six divisions:
- Director's Office Provides executive leadership, administrative, technical and financial management and support for the Planning Department.
- Comprehensive Planning Responsible for the Comprehensive Plan as well as several area and corridor plans and special planning studies.
- Current Planning Provides staff support for several Boards and Commissions, including the Planning Commission, and the Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Zoning Administration oversees and enforces the Zoning Ordinance.
- Development Services Center Assists with the City's land development review and approval processes.
- Permits & Inspections Administers the Uniform Statewide Building Code and associated laws and ordinances.
- Environment and Sustainability Office Develops environmental programs, assists City staff in meeting environmental mandates, and promotes community environmental education.
- Transportation Planning Coordinates and implements projects and plans associated with improving the City’s transportation network. Mass transit operations are coordinated with HRT, including the VB Transit Extension Study (Light Rail) and capital road projects are coordinated with other state and local agencies. Assists in SGA Plan implementation.