The primary role of the Current Planning Division is to provide quality support to the Planning Commission (PC) and the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). The Division consists of two sections: Planning Evaluation, which supports the Planning Commission, and Zoning Administration, which supports the Board of Zoning Appeals and interprets and enforces Appendix A, Zoning Ordinance, in the City Code as well as the Animals and Fowl, Peddlers and Solicitors, and Mobile Homes sections of the City Code.
Staff within both sections of the Division is dedicated to providing to the public, the PC, the BZA, and leaders and decision-makers within the City with relevant, timely, and professional products and services regarding the use and development of property in Virginia Beach. These efforts include the following:
- Meeting with property owners, businesspeople, potential developers, engineers, architects, property appraisers, and any interested or concerned individual or group during the process of determining the permitted use of property within the city.
- Assisting these individuals or groups with the process of making application to the Planning Commission or the Board of Zoning Appeals if a Change in Zoning, Conditional Use Permit, Street Closure, Subdivision Variance, or Zoning Variance is required to use the property as desired.
- Researching and evaluating the facts and issues relevant to the various applications, including consistency of the proposed development with plans adopted by the City Council (such as the Comprehensive Plan, Strategic Growth Area (SGA) Plans, etc.).
- Preparing a report for the Planning Commission or Board of Zoning Appeals that summarizes the results.
- Working with the public on all phases of the application process and coordinate any overlaps between boards in regard to reviews or areas of responsibility.
Current Planning staff also provides support and reports to the City Council on items that the Planning Commission has heard in a public hearing and made a recommendation on, as well as on proposed amendments to the City Zoning Ordinance and related ordinances that regulate the development of land in the city.