Project Status as of September 2014
On September 9, 2014, HRT briefed City Council on the fourth alignment alternative, ending in the Town Center area. It included ridership and cost projections and can be view here: September 9, 2014 City Council briefing. You may also see the previous presentation to City Council that focused on the Oceanfront via Hilltop/Laskin Road alignment alternative by viewing January 14, 2014 City Council Briefing.
The public is invited to the following two public meetings hosted by HRT on the Town Center Alignment Alternative:
- September 22, 2014 at the Renaissance Academy, 5100 Witchduck Road, Virginia Beach. This location is near stops for local bus route 20.
- September 24 at the Westin Hotel, Town Center, 4535 Commerce St., Virginia Beach. This location is served by local bus routes 20 and 36.
Next milestone activities and dates include:
- Fall 2014: Complete Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) and submit to FTA for review
- Winter 2015: Formal DEIS Public Comment Period and Public Hearings
- February 2015: Council selects Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA) and completion of DEIS
- Spring 2015: Initiation of Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) by FTA
- Spring-Summer 2015: Adoption of the LPA into the Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) by the Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization (HRTPO) Board
- Spring 2016: Completion of EIS and Record of Decision (ROD) - if a Town Center or Rosemont alignment alternative is selected
- December 2016: Completion of EIS and Record of Decision (ROD) - if either of the Oceanfront alignment alternatives are selected
For updates from HRT, please visit the HRT VBTES web page.