Learn about our recreation center policies:
General Recreation Center Rules
- Membership card or day pass must be presented and scanned in order to use the recreation center and/or participate in programs.
- Proper footwear, shirts, and appropriate dry clothing are required in the facility.
- Patrons are expected to dress appropriately. Clothing should not depict lewd graphics or obscene language. Undergarments should not be visible.
- Please eat and drink in designated areas, such as the snack bar. All Virginia Beach municipal facilities are smoke-free.
- Radios, CD/MP3 players and other personal electronic devices require headphones.
- Animals and bicycles are not allowed in the facility. Service animals are permitted.
- Skateboards and rollerblades may not be used in the recreation center, or near the recreation center front entrance and exits. Skateboards and rollerblades may be brought into the recreation center and secured in a locker.
- Only City materials may be posted on City property. Other items may not be displayed or solicited.
- Only Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation employees are permitted to provide instruction in the recreation center.
- Courteous conduct is expected from all those using our facility or on the facility grounds. Loitering and disruptive language or behavior (such as horseplay, profanity, and language or behavior that is profane, vulgar, sexual, ethnically degrading, disrespectful or threatening) are prohibited.
- Dangerous toys, alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are not allowed.
- Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen items.
- Please adhere to the amenity-specific rules posted at each site.
These rules apply to the recreation centers and surrounding grounds. Those who fail to comply with these rules will be subject to disciplinary action that may include the revocation of all privileges provided through a membership card or day pass.
Children and Our Recreation Centers
- Children age 5 and under must be directly supervised by a responsible person age 16 or older at all times.
- Youth ages 6-8 may participate during scheduled program hours until 8:00 pm as long as there is a person age 16 or older in the building who is responsible for them.
- After 8:00 pm, children under the age of 12 must be directly supervised by a responsible person age 16 or older.
- Children age 6 and up must use their respective locker room.
- We offer many programs for youth and follow the Virginia Beach City Public School calendar for school-age youth programming. Specific program information is available at each recreation center.
- To ensure their safety and to prevent anxiety, please do not leave children at the recreation center for long periods of time. Youth are advised to remain in a supervised program area.
Unattended Children Policy
To ensure your child's safety and sense of security, please pick up your child at least 15 minutes prior to the building closing or, for children under age 12, at the end of the program time. Please verify operating hours and the center schedule for age-appropriate activities prior to leaving your child at the facility. Parents are advised that staff cannot take responsibility for children who are left unattended. Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation staff may contact the Virginia Beach Police Department for assistance if children are left at the facility 30 minutes after closing.
Group Fitness Classes
Each recreation center offers group fitness classes. Participation is on a first come, first served basis. Schedules are available here
- Group Fitness participants must be age 14 or older. Those age 12 & 13 may participate if supervised by an adult.
- A Group Fitness Pass must be purchased for these classes.
Gymnasiums & Outdoor Play Courts
- One must be participating in an activity to be in the gymnasium or outdoor play court.
- Participants must be age 18 or older to participate in adult programs.
- Personal training, coaching and/or team practices are not permitted.
- Gymnasium and outdoor play court participants must wear fully-enclosed athletic shoes with non-marking soles.
- Willful misuse, destruction or vandalism of city property or equipment is prohibited. Hanging on the rims and/or nets is not permitted.
- Personal belongings must be placed in a locker.
- Bottled water, sport drinks and a towel are permitted.
- Food and soda are not permitted.
- Pants and shorts must be pulled up and undergarments not exposed.
Lockers & Locker Rooms
- Lockers require one quarter per use and are available for day use only.
- Bags or personal items are not allowed in athletic areas or in the swimming pool area.
- Children age 6 and up must use their respective locker room. Parents who take children under 6 of the opposite sex in the locker room are requested to respect the privacy of other patrons and may use handicapped bathrooms or assisted-care changing areas.
Bayside, Great Neck, and Princess Anne Recreation Centers have racquetball courts for your enjoyment.
- Players must be age 14 or older to reserve a court. Patrons under 14 may play if accompanied by an adult.
- Please bring your own racquets & balls. Eye protection is strongly recommended.
- Rubber soled shoes that do not mark the floor are required.
- Courts may be reserved for one hour, which includes a 5-minute grace period and 45 minutes for wallyball play. Reservations may be made in person or by phone the day before.
Come cool off, play, and/or relax at our sprayground. Benches are provided for those that just want to enjoy some fresh air.
- From May – September, the sprayground will be open during days the temperature is 75 degrees or higher. For specific times each day, please refer to the monthly pool calendar.
- All patrons must shower before entering the sprayground. Appropriate bathing suits are required when participating on the sprayground.
- Children’s safety and behavior are the responsibility of the parents/caregivers.
- Children under the age of nine (9) may use the sprayground when supervised and accompanied in the sprayground area by a responsible patron at least 16 years of age. This patron may supervise up to five children under the age of nine (9). Note: To use the pool, adults 16 or over may only supervise up to three (3) children under nine (9).
- Older children must be aware of smaller children in the sprayground. Sprayground is designed for children 12 years of age and younger. Play safe.
- Children not toilet trained must wear swim diapers. Please change diapers in designated locker room and rest room areas.
- Water shoes or aquatic socks are recommended. Surface temperature may be hot.
- No running or rough play. Individuals engaging in unsafe or disruptive behavior will be asked to leave the sprayground.
- Do not swing, climb, hang or pull on any sprayground equipment.
- No food, drinks, glass, water balloons, beach balls, pool noodles, etc. are allowed in the sprayground. (Exception: Plastic water bottles are permitted.)
- Individuals with diarrhea, infectious wounds, or communicable diseases cannot use sprayground.
- Do not drink sprayground water as it is chlorinated and re-circulated.
- No spitting or nose blowing allowed.
- Sprayground may close for inclement weather (ex. thunder/lightning) or sanitary reasons. All reasonable measures will be taken to reopen as quickly as possible.
Each recreation center has an indoor pool featuring open swim, lap lanes and instruction. Schedules are available here
- All patrons must shower before entering the pool.
- Children under age 9 may use the pool during Open Swim when supervised
and accompanied in the water by a responsible patron, age 16 or older. This
patron may supervise up to three children under age 9. The responsible patron must remain in close proximity to the child.
- Proper swimwear is required for swimming. Patrons in street clothes and shoes are not allowed in the pool area. Swimwear with exposed zippers, buckles, rivets, or metal lamination not permitted. Rubber pants/swim suit must be worn over swim diapers.
- Personal flotation devices must be Coast Guard approved. Patrons using approved flotation devices must be closely supervised.
- Patrons should supply their own towels and goggles as needed.
Each center has circuit training, free weights and cardiovascular equipment. Weight Room orientations are available by reservation.
- Weight Room participants must be age 14 or older. Those age 12 & 13 may participate if supervised by a parent or legal guardian.
- Only Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation staff may provide personal training services. Please contact fitness staff to arrange personal training services.
- Participants must wear fully-enclosed athletic shoes.