Bow Creek Recreation Center closed on August 25, 2012 for a long-term modernization project. Expected reopening is Fall 2014. Details about the project are below.
The majority of Bow Creek Recreation Center is more than 50 years old. Originally constructed in the 1960s as a club house for a private country club and golf course, the city acquired the property in 1975. At that time, the golf course was opened to the public, and the club house was converted into a recreation center. In 1991, the outdoor pool was enclosed for year-round use, and the facility was expanded to 36,782 square feet to incorporate an indoor gymnasium and locker rooms. The decision to modernize was based on increased recreation center utilization and a 2009 condition assessment study that rated the overall condition as “poor.”
About the New Recreation Center
The new recreation center will be approximately 67,700 square feet with amenities to include:
- Indoor pool with play components and 25-yard lap lanes
- 2-court indoor gymnasium
- Various fitness spaces
- Weight room
- Childcare classrooms with dedicated playground
- Locker rooms with family changing areas
Impact to Patrons
Bow Creek Recreation Center closed August 25, 2012, and staff relocated to other Virginia Beach Recreation Centers. View staff and program relocations here. Demolition and construction of the new center will continue over a period of two years. The golf course will remain open during this time, and the new Bow Creek Recreation Center is scheduled to open to the public in the fall of 2014.
Timeline and Background Information
- In 1960, the building that is now Bow Creek Recreation Center was constructed as a clubhouse for a private country club and golf course.
- Bow Creek Golf Course was acquired by the City and opened to the public in November 1975.
- In October 1979, the club house was converted into a recreation center and opened to the public.
- The outdoor pool was converted into an indoor pool, and a gymnasium and locker rooms were added in 1991.
- In June 2002, Bow Creek Neighborhood Park (3.6 acres) opened.
- A 2009 consultant's report evaluated the physical condition of the recreation center and determined the overall condition was "poor."
- A public open house about the concept plans was held January 11, 2012.
- The contract for the construction of the temporary golf pro shop and cart barn and the demolition of the recreation center was advertised in May 2012 with bids open in June 2012.
- Bow Creek Recreation Center closed on August 25, 2012.
- In November 2012, the contract for the construction of the recreation center was awarded to McKenzie Construction.
- A temporary golf pro shop and permanent cart storage facility has been built.
- Demolition of the existing recreation center began in March 2013.
- Construction of the new recreation center will begin in Spring 2013.
- The new Bow Creek Recreation Center is expected to open in Fall 2014.