Located along the south central City boundary with Chesapeake, Stumpy Lake Natural Area consists of a 278-acre lake with a raised ADA compliant overlook, 174-acre golf course, with approximately 970+ acres of undeveloped, forested land surrounding the lake and 1.65 miles of soft shared-use trails. As a valuable aesthetic resource, the area offers opportunity for passive recreational uses, such as hiking, fishing, bird watching, nature observation and photography. The 1,422-acre property was acquired in 2001 from the City of Norfolk.
A canoe/kayak launch is located just after the causeway from Indian River Road near the entrance to the Stumpy Lake Golf Course. Designed for non-motorized vessels, the launch is also fully ADA compliant. There is a small picnic shelter nearby. Parking spaces are available for 12 cars and two trailers. Overflow car parking is available at Stumpy Lake Golf Course.
Learn more about the Master Plan for Stumpy Lake Natural Area
Boating & Fishing
- Fishing from land and water is permitted with a Virginia Freshwater Fishing License (fishing from golf course property is not permitted)
- Motorized vessels are not permitted
- Watercraft must be launched from canoe/kayak launch
- Swimming is prohibited
- Stand up paddle boarding is permitted
Hours (subject to change)
Available Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 8 am - 6 pm | May 1 - October 4, 2015
Kayak rentals will also be available on Monday, September 7 for Labor Day
Single kayak: $15/hour
Tandem kayak: $25/hour
Ages 6-12 must be in a tandem kayak with an adult; ages 13 and up are eligible to paddle a single boat. Personal Flotation Devices (life jackets) and paddles will be provided with rental.
Canoe/Kayak rentals are also available at Munden Point Park
- Soft surface trail is surrounded by dense forest
- Hikers, bikers, walkers and runners share the trail
- Off-road bicycle tires recommended
- Dogs are welcome, but must be kept on a leash