Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation is pleased to offer scouts and volunteers a variety of projects to complete. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the funding that goes along with these projects and we look to the scouts and volunteers to complete fundraising efforts or ask for donations.
Below is a list of sample projects available. If you are interested in one of these projects, or have an idea for something else not listed, please let us know! Call 385-0400, or email fun@VBgov.com
. Department design standards must be followed where applicable.
Little Island Park
- Dune grass plantings (spring and fall) Plants provided by Dept. of Agriculture
- Palm tree and Fountain grass plantings
- Install sand fencing in various locations
Mount Trashmore Park
- Clean up around Lake Windsor
- Remove mulch from median beds in Edwin Drive parking lot and replace with Liriope ground cover
- Freshwater wetland plantings (April-October)
Munden Point Park
- Continue nature trail work through the wooded area of the park
- Renovate horseshoe pits by the ball fields
Red Wing Metro Park
- Complete trail work throughout the park
Stumpy Lake Natural Area
- Trail maintenance to include adding piping for drainage in certain areas and low footbridges over wet areas
West Neck Creek Natural Area
- Soft trail maintenance to include mulching, repairing wet areas, pruning, etc.
- Trail maintenance in the wooded area
Amenities for Various Parks
- Concrete pads for trash receptacles
- Construct (3) 4' x 20" planters using recycled plastic materials (TREX). Construction plans provided
- Build/construct sets of corn hole games for use in parks. Scout must come up with standards and provide all needed materials.
- Tree plantings (with approval of City Arborist)