The City has three dog parks consisting of a one-acre fenced area where dogs can run free from their leashes:
Red Wing Metro Park
at 1398 General Booth Blvd.
Woodstock Community Park
at 5709 Providence Rd.
Bayville Farms Park (Opening Late Spring 2014)
at 4132 First Court Road
An annual on-site registration fee of $15 is required (for the first dog, $10 for each additional dog), along with proof of license and vaccination. (A locality license is not required for out-of-town visitors.) Dogs will be issued a tag to wear visibly on their collar. Please visit the park office at Red Wing or Woodstock Park to obtain the tag. Registered dogs may utilize any dog park.
Children are required to be at least 8 years of age to enter the park.
General Dog Park Guidelines
When dog owners follow the guidelines, everyone’s enjoyment of the dog parks is enhanced. Therefore, we need to work together to preserve space for both our dogs and our citizens.
- Dog owners will be liable for the full value of any park property damaged or destroyed by their dogs.
- Please be a responsible dog owner and support our dog park guidelines.
- Dog owners are required to license their dogs and have documented expiration date of dog's rabies vaccination with them upon registration. We strongly recommend that dogs receive the Parvo vaccination. Out-of-town visitors are asked to show rabies tag when registering with the park office; a locality license is not required.
- Park staff will monitor and spot check usage, licenses, and compliance with dog park guidelines. Animal Control will ensure compliance with city ordinances.
- Scoop the poop and keep the area clean.
- License and immunize your dogs. A collar with proper identification should be worn by your dogs at all times.
- Keep an eye on your dog(s).
- Avoid dog fights. If a fight breaks out, pull the dogs apart from the back.
- Honor the limit of four dogs per person.
- Barking or uncontrollable dogs must be removed.
- Remove your dogs immediately at the first sign of aggressive behavior toward people or other dogs.
- Immediately report any incidents/accidents to on-site park staff.
- Don't bring puppies under four months into the park.
- Don't bring female dogs in heat into the park.
- Don't let your dogs dig holes in the park. If your dog does dig, fill the holes immediately.
- Don't leave your dogs unattended in the park.
- Don't bring children under 8 years old into the park.
- Don't feed your dogs in the park.
- Don't remove the leash until you have entered the dog park.
The Dog Parks operate under the following ordinances:
- City of Virginia Beach Ordinance Section 5-9. Nuisance animals generally.
- City of Virginia Beach Ordinance Section 5-16. Allowing dogs to urinate or defecate on public or private property.
- City of Virginia Beach Ordinance Section 5-46. Dog or cat license required.
- City of Virginia Beach Ordinance Section 5-87. Vaccination or inoculation of dogs or cats.
- Virginia State Code Recreational Use Immunity State Code 15.2-1809. Liability of localities in the operation of parks, recreational facilities, and playgrounds.
Hours of Operation:
7:30 am to posted closing time