Originally constructed in the 1960s as a club house for a private country club and golf course, the city acquired what would become Bow Creek Recreation Center in 1975. At that time, the Bow Creek golf course was opened to the public, and the club house was converted into a recreation center. In 1991, the outdoor pool was enclosed for year-round use, and the facility was expanded to 36,782 square feet to incorporate an indoor gymnasium and locker rooms. The decision to modernize was based on increased recreation center utilization and a 2009 condition assessment study that rated the overall condition as “poor.”
About the New Recreation Center
Anticipated to open in early 2015, the new, energy-efficient recreation center will be 67,743 square feet with amenities to include:
- Indoor pool with play components and four 25-yard lap lanes
- 2-court indoor gymnasium
- Enlarged fitness areas
- Expanded weight room
- Childcare classrooms with dedicated playground
- Locker rooms with family changing areas
- Youth game room
- Meeting rooms
The new recreation center is the first city building to include LED lighting both indoors and outdoors. It also features a heating and cooling system that utilizes a geothermal well field as a heat source (in heating mode) or a heat sink (in cooling mode). This type of system utilizes the moderate temperatures below ground to boost efficiency and reduce operational costs by using the earth as a heat source in the winter and dissipating heat into the ground in the summer.
As a part of the project, the storm water management system is being improved to handle on-site drainage and will have the added benefit of improving drainage efficiency in the surrounding neighborhood as well. New storm water ponds on the site were designed to be landscaped water features with meandering walking paths around the perimeter and an outdoor deck overlooking the water and the golf course.
Impact to Patrons
Bow Creek Recreation Center closed August 25, 2012 for demolition and construction of the new building. Construction of the new center began in July 2013. The Bow Creek Golf Course remains open during recreation center construction, and the new Bow Creek Recreation Center and Bow Creek Neighborhood Park are scheduled to open to the public in early 2015.
Timeline and Background Information
- In 1960, the building that is now Bow Creek Recreation Center was constructed as a clubhouse for a private country club and golf course.
- Bow Creek Golf Course was acquired by the City and opened to the public in November 1975.
- In October 1979, the club house was converted into a recreation center and opened to the public.
- The outdoor pool was converted into an indoor pool, and a gymnasium and locker rooms were added in 1991.
- In June 2002, Bow Creek Neighborhood Park (3.6 acres) opened.
- A 2009 consultant's report evaluated the physical condition of the recreation center and determined the overall condition was "poor."
- A public open house about the concept plans was held January 11, 2012.
- The contract for the construction of the temporary golf pro shop and cart barn and the demolition of the recreation center was advertised in May 2012 with bids open in June 2012.
- Bow Creek Recreation Center closed on August 25, 2012.
- A temporary golf pro shop and permanent cart storage facility was built.
- Demolition of the existing recreation center was completed in Spring of 2013.
- Construction of the new recreation center began July 2013.
- Construction of the new golf pro shop was completed July 2014.
- The new Bow Creek Recreation Center and Bow Creek Neighborhood Park are expected to open in early 2015.