Our vision is a balanced, sustainable and value-focused system of parks, recreation and public spaces that creates a sense of community.
Our mission is to:
- Deliver parks, recreation programs and public spaces that reflect the priorities of our community
- Support tiered levels of service that recognize the diverse needs of our community
- Focus on sustainability of core programs, services and facilities through efficient and effective business practices
Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation is a National Parks and Recreation Association accredited agency.
- Director: Michael J. Kalvort, CPRE
- Business Systems Administrator: Maile Hildenbrand
- Planning, Design & Development Interim Administrator: Doug Cherry
- Programming & Operations Interim Administrator: Brian Solis
- Landscape Management Administrator: Frank Fentress
In January 1956, the Board of Supervisors of Princess Anne County established a Recreation Department. When Princess Anne County became the City of Virginia Beach in 1963, the department's name changed to Department of Parks, Recreation and Physical Education. Ten years later, Physical Education separated from the department and became operated by the School Board. Since 1973, the Department has been known as Department of Parks & Recreation.