Six Online Resources to Find Great Summer Reads
The VBPL Summer Reading Challenge
offers fun programs and prizes for all ages. Do you need help finding some good books to read and log? Check out these online resources to help you find your next great read.
- VBPL2GO (iOS app) – Download the library’s app to search for books in our catalog and manage your account. Use the built in suggestions feature to get award winner and bestseller book lists and connect to your Goodreads account to browse your friends’ recent reads and book ratings. The BookMyne app for Android will allow you to browse the catalog and view and manage your account.
- VBPL Recommends – VBPL staff members with a wide variety of reading interests provide book recommendations daily on this blog. Anything in the VBPL collection is fair game so be sure to check out our staff’s favorite reads!
- Your Personalized Reading List – Do you wish you could just tell us what you like and receive a list of books to try? You’re in luck. Fill out a brief form detailing your reading likes and dislikes and staff will create a reading list just for you. Once you have received a list, let us know how we did and we’ll keep giving you more titles to try.
- NoveList – This library database allows you to find great books based on your reading preferences. With your library card number, you can visit this database and search for your favorite books or authors to find similar books to enjoy.
- Goodreads – In addition to providing an easy way to keep up with your reading history, this bookish social network recommends books to you based on your reading history and allows you to connect to readers with similar tastes. Reader-created lists on a variety of genres give you the opportunity to find something new and groups with discussion forums allow members to discuss their favorite reads. Also check out similar sites, such as LibraryThing and Shelfari.
- Are you planning to travel this summer and want to pack light? Visit www.VBgov.com/downloadables for free library e-book, audiobook, magazine and music downloads to load up your tablet or smartphone.