Are you trying to use the library catalog for the first time?
If you recently applied for and received your library card, your PIN number was generated as a random number. The Library recommends creating a new PIN before placing holds or using the other great features the library catalog offers.
Forgot your PIN?
To reset your User PIN, sign on to Forgot Your PIN?
web page. You must enter your User ID and your last name. Your User ID is the barcode number found on your Virginia Beach Public Library card. Your PIN will be sent only to the email account(s) currently on your library record.
What’s the difference between using the login at the top of the window versus using the login under My Account?
The login under “My Account” is for a single transaction only. You might want to use this login if you are at a public kiosk or computer, and are concerned about someone using the machine after you. After each transaction (e.g., renewing your items), you are automatically logged off.
If you are using iBistro (Library's catalog) at a home or trusted computer, we recommend using the top login window. Via that login, you can perform multiple transactions (e.g., renew your materials or place a hold) with the convenience of a single login.
Problems Renewing Library Materials?
You can not renew checked out library materials under the following conditions:
- Materials have been requested as a hold by another customer.
- Your library account has expired.
- Your library account has fees or fines of $10 or more.
Placing holds in the online catalog.
Q: I want to place a hold on available material and want to pick it up at the owning library within 24-48 hours. How soon can I pick up this item?
If you are placing a hold on material that is in available status and, you want to pick up the material at the owning library within 24-48 hours, please call that library to ensure that the material that you are requesting is actually available. If the material is available it will be held for you.Is there a mobile version of the online catalog?
Point your mobile device to the library's catalog at https://vbplcat.vbgov.com
. You'll be automatically redirected to our mobile catalog which is powered by LibraryAnywhere. If you have an Apple or Android device, you can also download the LibraryAnywhere app in the Apple Store or Android Market for a more customized experience.Text it!
No more hunting for pen and paper! Text information from the library's online catalog to your phone. Look for and select the "Text it" link that is located on the Item Information tab found on the Details page of each item. The link opens a new window where you can add your mobile phone number and provider. The call number, title, and location/agency of the book or other item will automatically be included in the text message. You can also enter a small note if you'd like. Try it and then share it with your friends.
ON-ORDER Status in Library Catalog?
Q: What does 1 copy available at Collection Management in ON-ORDER or 1 copy available at Central Library in ON-ORDER mean?
A: It means that a copy of this title is not actually available but has been ordered by the library. You may place a hold on this item and it will come to you after it has arrived and been added to the collection. It may take up to 6 months between the time a title is ordered and when it is ready for use. However, it is usually it is only 3 to 4 weeks.
Problems Accessing the Library Catalog?
Q: I am receiving a page that says that the Library's catalog is down, however the date on the page has long past. I am unable to access the catalog.
A: The Library staff has received a lot of questions on connecting to the catalog and receiving a down page that has expired. After some research we have found that you will need to update your cache and/or your favorites/bookmarks. To do this we have listed some helpful hints below.
- Use the Operating System's browser, not your ISP's default browser to access the catalog. You have Internet Explorer 4, 5, 6 or higher installed on your PC if it's a Windows based system.
- You may need to empty the temporary Internet files and clear history through the Tools/Options features in Internet Explorer.
- Type the following in your address bar, http://www.vbgov.com/libraries.
- You may have had the library listed in the Favorites/Bookmark folder and have been accessing it that way for a while. If so, it may be an old site that has been cached on the hard drive and it needs to be updated. To refresh your favorites/bookmark, you will need to go to http://www.vbgov.com/libraries and select the link for the catalog. Then, you can then update your favorite/bookmark.
- If you are still experiencing problems, please call your Internet Service Provider, your computer support company, or any Virginia Beach library and a staff member will assist you.
Online Library Catalog Downtime
Due to scheduled routine maintenance, the Library Catalog may be unavailable nightly for a short period of time sometime between 10 p.m. and 3 a.m. The total downtime should be less than 1 hour. We apologize for the inconvenience.