What is the Therapeutic Foster Parent Program or TAFY?
Therapeutic Foster Parent Programor TAFY is program offered through the Virginia Beach Department of Human Services divisions of Adult & Family Services and Mental Health Substance Abuse Child & Youth Services. TAFY provides 24-hour specialized foster care for children and adolescents residing in our community who have emotional and/or behavioral issues. Our goal is to support these children in the community with all available resources, while they live in a therapeutic family setting. TAFY works with community resources to provide selected children with services, such as: special education, therapy and/or medication management as needed.
TAFY Children have a history of behavioral and emotional problems due to physical/sexual abuse, dysfunctional home setting, and/or trauma. They have developed behavior patterns which require intensive treatment in order for them to adequately function in today’s society. Due to the severity of the children’s behaviors and extent of their needs, initially, only one child will be placed in each foster home.
TAFY and its therapeutic foster homes are committed to providing the best possible treatment and care for their children. The TAFY Program provides for complete guidance and support for each child placed in a home. Our TAFY Case Managers and TAFY Parents work under the motto of “Whatever It Takes.”
TAFY Services Include:
- Full case management services to the child, his/her family and the therapeutic foster family.
- Frequent visitations and calls by highly trained case managers assigned to monitor and assist with family adjustment, service delivery and problem situations.
- Extensive pre-service training, plus assessment of foster parents to ensure they possess the skills necessary to work effectively with our children.
- Careful matching of homes and children.
- Extensive and comprehensive treatment planning and implementation.
- Ongoing in-service training to help the foster parents assess and handle the behaviors and needs of these children.
- One weekend per month of respite care is available within the program.
- Mental Health Services, including individual therapy, family therapy and medication management are provided to help the TAFY child and the TAFY family as well as the biological family.
- Additional support services when needed.
For more information on becoming a TAFY Parent please contact:
Lorelei M. Jones, TAFY Coordinator
Adult & Family Services, Division of Human Services
3432 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23452