Foster Parent Road Map Certificate
What steps do I need to take to become a certified foster parent?
- Attend an Orientation to learn more about the certification process and to receive your Orientation Packet
- Complete Pre-Service Training = (9 weeks / 6:30pm-9:30pm)
- Submit application for dual certification. The application will be handed out in week 2. Turn in as soon as possible to start the home study.
- Start the home study process. The first visit will be in the VBDHS office. The next 2-3 are in your home. One will include a safety inspection of your home.
- Complete fingerprinting for all adult members 18 and over in the household. Complete Child Protective Services checks for all family members over 14 years old.
- Compete a TB test and provide documentation of the test results and a physician’s statement.
- Complete DMV checks.
- Provide at least 3 references
- Foster Care Committee meets to review the home study and make approval decisions.
- Certification Process is completed!