Foster Care / Resource Parent Resources
The following are some of the resources available to foster care / resource parents:
- Training: An intensive nine week pre-service training is required of all interested Foster /Resource Parents. In addition, Therapeutic Foster Parent Program (TAFY) requires 3-4 additional training session for all those interested in therapeutic foster care. Once a family is approved as a Foster / Resource Parent then there are monthly in-service trainings that are offered. Foster / Resource Parents must complete at least three of these in-service per year.
- Board Rate: A set rate that is based on the age of the foster child which reimburses the foster parents for estimated costs of care. It is paid at the end of the month.
- Insurance: When a child in placed in the agency’s custody, they are eligible for medical and dental coverage through Medicaid or their biological family’s insurance.
- Day Care: If foster parents work, then day care can be arranged. It will be paid for by the agency as long as it is a licensed day care provider.
- Clothing: Upon entering foster care and throughout the year, a clothing voucher is available to help meet the clothing needs of a child. The amount per year is based on the child’s age. A voucher for diapers is also available when a baby first enters foster care.
- Dual Certification: When the home study is complete and approved, then the family is certified as a Resource parent, which means they would have a home study already completed if the circumstances allowed them to adopt their foster child.
- Support Group: Both Foster / Resource and TAFY Parents have monthly support groups in order to put foster parents in touch with each other, gain support, and plan for activities such as picnics, Easter Egg hunts, holiday parties, etc.
- Mental Health Services: If a child needs individual or family therapy it can be arranged by the child’s social worker. The same is true is a child requires medication management in order to help them.
- Other resources may be available as needed.