1. Customer Service – We provide services responsive to customer needs and
preferences. Attention to feedback from our customers and incorporation of that
feedback into our planning and programs helps to ensure quality customer service.
2. Consumer Choice – We recognize and honor the rights, responsibilities and
preferences of the consumer and family member in the development of individualized
service plans. We strive to support consumers in identifying services to maximize their
potential for independence and improved quality of life.
3. Participatory Decision Making – We encourage participation of all stakeholders
including consumers, family members, advocates, staff and other community interests
in agency decision-making. We understand the importance of incorporating diverse
perspectives in our efforts to meet community needs.
4. Continuous Quality Improvement – We encourage Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) as an overall agency philosophy that emphasizes innovation and critical analysis of current performance. Desired outcomes are compared with current reality, and the resulting gap offers opportunities for CQI initiatives based upon data analysis.
5. Systems Thinking – We promote agency planning and decision-making based upon a system-wide consideration of programs or policies. We also ensure that our services
are aligned with the outcomes identified by the Virginia Beach Quality Services System
Strategic Plan with particular focus upon Safe Community and Family and Youth
Opportunity strategic goals.
6. Public Awareness – We work to increase public awareness and knowledge of the
issues, needs and expectations surrounding our consumers in order to enhance
community support of disabled persons.
7. Interagency Cooperation – We focus our resources upon those programs and
services not provided by other organizations in our community. We work in partnership
with other agencies and organizations when appropriate.
8. Integrity – We promote professional and ethical behavior on the part of staff that
serves a vulnerable population. We strive to assure that we comply with all appropriate
state and federal rules, regulations and codes.
9. Community Based Services – We believe all consumers should be afforded the
opportunity to live successfully in the community and participate fully in the benefits
offered to Virginia Beach citizens.